Me v. Sparkplugs

PWN_JOO

Apr 17, 2004
I bought new Bosch Platinums last night and I am now trying to install them. The problem I have run into though is that the housing for the plugs are so deep (about 3-4in) that I cannot get to them. Also, the socket that fits around the plug is too wide to fit into the housing. Are there any special tools for Fords that will alleviate this problem?

• Sponsors (?)

ummm I think you need to get a little more indepth here...literally...buy an extension and use a spark plug socket...if you're using a 1/2 in drive socket, you should put down your tools, go inside and drink a soda...then go back outside, and use a 3/8 drive, or 1/4 drive...

DTMach1 said:
ummm I think you need to get a little more indepth here...literally...buy an extension and use a spark plug socket...if you're using a 1/2 in drive socket, you should put down your tools, go inside and drink a soda...then go back outside, and use a 3/8 drive, or 1/4 drive...

:doh:

That's clever man. :lol:

Funny stuff. In fairness, the first time I did a tuneup I used a 1/2 drive too.

:bang:

ironheart1 said:
:doh:

That's clever man. :lol:

Funny stuff. In fairness, the first time I did a tuneup I used a 1/2 drive too.

:bang:

Well I did the opposite recently. I was changing the clutch in a T-45 and the transmission bolts were being a PITA I had like 4 12" (3/8" drive)extensions and a swivel trying to get those top two bolts out of the trannsmission and had no luck...then we got the 1/2" drive with 4' extension and had the bolts out in no time...everyone makes mistakes...it's fun sometimes!

I have the Craftsman and yes, sometimes it sticks to the plug, i.e. you go to pull the ratchet off and the socket stays behind.

OP: you might also want to invest in an angle section for your ratchet set, I forget what it's called, it's basically a U-joint that lets your crank away around corners.

you can also start the plugs in by taking a piece of fuel tubing and sliding it over the tip of the spark plug, once the plug is seated you just pull the tubing off.
also DO NOT over torque the plugs or you will damage the threads (aluminum heads)

torque to 13 ft. lbs. :nice:

13 lbs... :bang: every body have a torque wrench. Can somebody help me on this...standard plug is you hand tignten the plug till the end , after that it's 1/4 turn more. I know there is ane other type that need's only 1/8 of a turn but i don't know witch.

i think if the plug has a gasket its a 1/8 of a turn. i was taught when the torque spec is that low, you convert it to inch pounds and use an inchpound torque wrench because it will be in the more optimum range and provide a more accurate reading then a ft/lb one would.