• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Mechanical Issue

  • Thread starter Thread starter JMattD
  • Start date Start date Aug 2, 2014

JMattD

New Member
Aug 2, 2014
5
0
1
Aug 2, 2014
#1
  • Aug 2, 2014
  • #1
Okay so I've run into a problem, and this just happened out of nowhere. When I started my car today it just died immediately after. Also when you turn the key but, do not start the car, there's a noise that I believe is the fuel pump. Now I can normally hear it for just a few seconds, but today it just continued without stopping. Which leads me to believe that something is wrong with the fuel pump, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?
 

stykthyn

I want to measure mine. It doesn't look that tall.
15 Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
5,232
2,652
223
gainesville
Aug 2, 2014
#2
  • Aug 2, 2014
  • #2
I would check the fuel pump relay under the driver seat. It may be stuck open.
 

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
27,512
2,813
234
Dublin GA
Aug 2, 2014
#3
  • Aug 2, 2014
  • #3
Will the car start if you crank it?
 

JMattD

New Member
Aug 2, 2014
5
0
1
Aug 2, 2014
#4
  • Aug 2, 2014
  • #4
jrichker said:
Will the car start if you crank it?
Click to expand...
Yes it starts, but immediately dies after
 

JMattD

New Member
Aug 2, 2014
5
0
1
Aug 2, 2014
#5
  • Aug 2, 2014
  • #5
stykthyn said:
I would check the fuel pump relay under the driver seat. It may be stuck open.
Click to expand...
I think you're right. I unplugged it, replugged it, and messed with it some, still does it. How do I fix it?
 

JMattD

New Member
Aug 2, 2014
5
0
1
Aug 2, 2014
#6
  • Aug 2, 2014
  • #6
stykthyn said:
I would check the fuel pump relay under the driver seat. It may be stuck open.
Click to expand...
Do I just have to buy a new one?
 

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
27,512
2,813
234
Dublin GA
Aug 3, 2014
#7
  • Aug 3, 2014
  • #7
No info about your car's model year, EFI or carb, no mods listed. Makes it hard to troubleshoot when we don't know what you have.

Therefore, no clue as to which version of the fuel pump troubleshooter you need. The wiring changed several times between 86 & 93.

That's why it is a good idea to use the sig under the user control panel (User CP) option. It allows you to post your car year & mods, which help greatly when troubleshooting things. No, it is not there for us to snoop and see any "Secrets" you have hidden away under the hood. Be a good Stangnetter and update you sig for future reference & don't keep us guessing.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
92 5.0 almost starts
  • Steverino
  • Sep 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
167
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 25, 2026
General karthief
S
FUEL PUMP ALWAYS ON
  • Scwhitten
  • Jun 6, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
34
Views
795
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Monday at 11:30 AM
Scwhitten
S
9
1997 gt Starts then dies a few seconds after.
  • 97orange
  • Aug 13, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
5
Views
210
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Aug 17, 2026
97orange
9
Electrical problem plug in the drivers kick panel
  • Mindseye007
  • Aug 16, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
174
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 16, 2026
Mindseye007
L
1997 V6 Starting issue
  • leanzik04
  • Mar 20, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
310
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Mar 20, 2026
Noobz347
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?