Megasquirt PNP2 460SBF startup/idle issues

Having an issue with getting the car to adequately start and stay running at a consistent idle. The car had previously been running with a SCT Tune on a stock ECU, so I am confident that the components are not the issue. I am new and don't quite fully understand how all the tables interact, and it has me at a bit of a loss. Could someone take a look to see if I am on the right path, or make recommendations. Thank you in advance.

Engine Specs:
Bill Mitchel 460 short block (351w stroked)
Eagle lightened crank
Eagle h beam rods
Green top ford Motorsport injectors
Edelbrock victor efi manifold
75mm Edelbrock throttle body
Msd alternator
Msd hvc blue coil
Msd digital 6 plus box
Trick flow high port heads
Aeromotive fuel rails
Aeromotive adjustable fuel regulator
Aeromotive fuel pump
Enderle fuel valve (from good vibrations)

Attachments

• 2020-04-08_19.01.55.msq
    120.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 2020-04-08_14.14.22.mlg
    5.9 MB · Views: 66
  • Sponsors (?)

Very cool engine combination, I would like to see some pictures of it and the car.

What i did is go through the tune and make some alterations to it. I need a bit more information like where the IAT sensor is located. I assume it is in the lower intake manifold but some move it to the airbox or out of the engine bay.

For this tune to work correctly you need to be using the newest 4.3.3 firmware, and the TPS sensor has to be recalibrated right now it reads 7% at idle. This can be done through the tools menu at the top of the screen in TS. make sure you cycle the key twice as I have made alterations requiring a power cycle.

If you need more direct help visit my services page.

Attachments

• SBF460Torino.rev.1.0.0.msq
    120.5 KB · Views: 81
Thank you for the quick reply and look at the file. I will give it a go and get back with you, I will most likely need your services. The IAT is as you assume on the lower front drivers side of the manifold (figured I'd leave it there until heat soak became an issue).
IMG_8490.jpg
IMG_8491.jpg

The car is a 1971 Torino that my brother built around 10 years ago, he got tired of it and never finished so I am taking over.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a 1970-1/2, but it was called a Falcon, but looked like the Torino.
It was a straight -6 with auto.
All the exterior badges said Falcon.
Going to the parts store was an adventure, since they insisted there was no such vehicle as a '70-1/2 Falcon & it didn't look like a Falcon.
I had the Owner's Manual to prove it.

Blown88GT - Yea that is a very rare year, think only 4k or so of those were made. Very slick ride, it was also made with the Fairlane badging too.

a91what - I assume it was the firmware 3.4.3 (just swapped a couple digits) as that was the latest firmware I could locate on the Megasquirt page for MS2. You sir are a magical sorcerer, i used the file and it started easy peasy. The idling still has some issues as it was all over the board, and we can work that out through your services.

I do have another problem that arose, I ran the car up to temp, the fan kicked on and everything was going well, till it wasn't. The car made quick shut down and is now acting as if the MS isn't connected. All the fuses/relays were checked (nothing blown), went over all wiring and nothing appears burnt or at issue.

Does the datalog show anything that may have been an issue/culprit before I delve further into wiring/hardware issues.

Attachments

• 2020-04-09_16.11.09.mlg
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
Blown88GT - Yea that is a very rare year, think only 4k or so of those were made. Very slick ride, it was also made with the Fairlane badging too.

a91what - I assume it was the firmware 3.4.3 (just swapped a couple digits) as that was the latest firmware I could locate on the Megasquirt page for MS2. You sir are a magical sorcerer, i used the file and it started easy peasy. The idling still has some issues as it was all over the board, and we can work that out through your services.

I do have another problem that arose, I ran the car up to temp, the fan kicked on and everything was going well, till it wasn't. The car made quick shut down and is now acting as if the MS isn't connected. All the fuses/relays were checked (nothing blown), went over all wiring and nothing appears burnt or at issue.

Does the datalog show anything that may have been an issue/culprit before I delve further into wiring/hardware issues.

well i noticed your idle valve closes completely when the cars warming up and the idle is still climbing when its closing... also why is your idle so high, i hope its cause some of your settings are off and not cause the cars sucking air from somewhere.. are you running in open loop or closed loop?

Added after my first comment.... I was checking out your tune.. just noticed your idle in closed loop idle targets is pretty high until 180 then its 825 ,, but it still was climbing even when the car was up to 195*... so im thinkin you might have a air leak somewhere.. but your tune for sure still needs alot of tweaking to get some stuff right.. im sure steve will catch what im talking about... like your intial valve table for closed loop should be set on and not last value. and im not to sure if steve woulda set up the dashpot adder and stuff.. ive never seen him use that in any of my REV. tunes..

ALSO i noticed in your cranking pulse settings at 70* you have 120.... which seems to be alot lower then needed... someone gonna have to go thru that whole tune to make sure all the settings play nice together.. cause even me just having a quick glance at it.. ive seen a few things that stick out as wrong that can be quickly changed around to help the car run abit better..

Last edited:
Thank you for the input Blucifer99 been reading your thread for a while, lots of good information to pick over.

My issue ended up being mechanical, I had recently added a Raspberry Pi Dash and the bussbar used was overloaded, which burnt the Mausberry switch and a couple fuses. IMG_8492.jpg
I believe the issue is in the Tune for it's idle, on the previous ECU it would idle between 1100-1200, this is the range the engine likes to stay around, and I am alright with it being in that range. The vacuum lines were all replaced (there aren't many just one from the rear of the upper intake that splits into the Fuel Pressure Regulator & MS).

It was running in closed loop until the very end until the throttle was blipped a couple times. I will be getting in touch with Steve to assist with fully setting up the tune, I plan to line out the electrical over the week (waiting on Amazon to deliver a couple new bussbars), and then get back into the MS.

I wish I would have known you were in the market for a DD setup.. we have units that make most look like a science fair project. If you ever want to upgrade what you are using we can work with you for any need you may have.

now the idle settings can be quite a few things, I spammed in some values for you. One of the biggest ones to look at is if the idle valve is setup to "use last postion" this is what i set them too if I have no good values to base the initial values table off of. This would cause the valve to slam shut if the idle settings are overly sensitive which they likely are.

Thank you for the input Blucifer99 been reading your thread for a while, lots of good information to pick over.

My issue ended up being mechanical, I had recently added a Raspberry Pi Dash and the bussbar used was overloaded, which burnt the Mausberry switch and a couple fuses. IMG_8492.jpg
I believe the issue is in the Tune for it's idle, on the previous ECU it would idle between 1100-1200, this is the range the engine likes to stay around, and I am alright with it being in that range. The vacuum lines were all replaced (there aren't many just one from the rear of the upper intake that splits into the Fuel Pressure Regulator & MS).

It was running in closed loop until the very end until the throttle was blipped a couple times. I will be getting in touch with Steve to assist with fully setting up the tune, I plan to line out the electrical over the week (waiting on Amazon to deliver a couple new bussbars), and then get back into the MS.

well im happy to hear that my misery in my thread helped ya out... LMFAO.. during the majority of that thread i was pullin my hair out and grinding my teeth tryin to learn and soak in on how to tune my own vehicle lol... then i decided to build up my motor.. which lead to alot more grey hair and cracked teeth,, im totally glad some of thats over i tell ya.. Im still gettin grey hair from tuning this stupid car and i feel like its never gonna end up where i want it.. Im glad to hear you figured out your problem tho.. its those little pesky problems that will have you running around chasing your ass tryin to figure this stuff out... but you have come to the right place for the help.

now about your tune.. i noticed a few things that are sticking out at me, and hopefully steve caught on to them and made the changes for u. But my best advice i can give you is to give that car what it wants.