MGP Caliper Covers

• Sponsors (?)

Had these made for my Bullitt:
197_MOCKUP1_pth_PBR_01_HG.jpg

Bullit Rims a Problem?

I looked at the website, and they want another $15 for 1/4" spacers to specifically clear Bullit rims. Don't know why Bullit is singled out.
I use two sets of rims---19" stockers, which I guess are OK, and 18" Konig Beyonds, which are for winter. If they clear the Beyonds I'd get them.
So I asked---no answer yet.

I have some serious concerns about these in the area of brake fade. The S197 is already woefully underbraked and prone to brake fade on road courses, and it would seem these covers block airflow over the caliper and store heat in them. Just some clarification would be nice.

Claim is they dissipate heat and keep dust off wheels. I can see the latter but on the heat dissipation I questioned their test method.

Here's a video from MGP about their covers:

Here's a video that says the covers reduce heat:

He said in the video the covers act as a heat sink pulling heat away from the caliper, but I wonder if the heat is the same and the cover is just blocking measurement of the caliper itself?
Reduced brake dust may be the best functionality out of them.
I decided to go with these covers since after market slotted and drilled rotors have a high tendency to crack and warp, so the stock 'pbr' brakes,
while they might take a few more feet to stop, are more reliable...

Can you post up a pic or two of them on your car?

Also, I am not going to be racing my car. I was considering them SOLELY for a cleaner look.
RC

I don't have the car back from Livernois yet, but here's a video they took.
The 2nd shot is a side view where the front cover is visible. The rear cover is visible later in the video's 1/4 rear view:

I dont mean to hijack this thread, but Palerider1, what lowering springs are you running on you pony? I was considering putting a set of the MGP caliper covers on my 06 GT for a cleaner look as well, but I had never thought of the heat issue, glad I read this thread, gives me something to think about.

What exhaust is on there?

Most guys in the Corral forums are saying rice, cheesy, etc. Im thinking if I stick with the black it doesnt look that bad. I know it only matters what the owner likes, but you dont what to have the WHOLE Mustang world against you for a not-so-important issue.
RC
It has
1) Kooks 1 3/4" x 2 1/2" Longtube Headers
2) Kooks 3" X pipe – Note: there is no part number for the specially made 3” catted x-pipe from kooks. They usually see the 3” option as race only so they delete the cats. So this is a special section that used their 3” high flow race cats.
3) Magnaflow #16674 Exhaust Stainless Steel W/3" Pipes & 4" EXH. Tips

I know what you mean on the rice-cheesey thing. Some want stock or the most expensive bling. I could have sprung for new brembos, but with the stock pbr brakes adequate and the MGP caliper covers serving at least one purpose I went that route instead.
I think the faux silver bolt heads on the covers may need painted over body color-that could cut some of the cheese out:D

PBR-logo.jpg

I dont mean to hijack this thread, but Palerider1, what lowering springs are you running on you pony? I was considering putting a set of the MGP caliper covers on my 06 GT for a cleaner look as well, but I had never thought of the heat issue, glad I read this thread, gives me something to think about.
The springs are part of the FRPP package on the car:

Ford Racing Handling Pack item# M-2005-FR3
which includes:
*Dampers M-18000-A
*Lowering Springs M-5300-K
*Sway Bars M-5490-A

Also has:

BMR panhard bar - Adjustable

Steeda Camber adjusters

BMR HD boxed Subframe Connectors--Weld-in

BMR heavy duty billet lower Control Arms

BMR Control Arm Relocation Brackets

Mustang wheel spacer brand wheel spacers - 7/8 in.

2-Back Stock Wheels sent to James at Weldcraft - (Widened) stock 8.5" wheels by adding 1.5" to make the rears 10" Wide.

Goodyear F1 285x40x18 rears with 255x45x18 fronts.

He said in the video the covers act as a heat sink pulling heat away from the caliper, but I wonder if the heat is the same and the cover is just blocking measurement of the caliper itself?
Reduced brake dust may be the best functionality out of them.
I decided to go with these covers since after market slotted and drilled rotors have a high tendency to crack and warp, so the stock 'pbr' brakes,
while they might take a few more feet to stop, are more reliable...

The video is misleading. It's blocking the actual caliper temp. I was so pissed watching this vid because he's misinforming buyers who depend on this info as a on the fence purchase. The temps need to be taken of the anterior most portion of the rotor, not the side that's covered. :nonono: Basically going from the right side of the wheel spokes to the other side where the caliper isnt. Rotor temperature is consistent with caliper temp. Looks like false advertising garbage.

caliper covers are the biggest, cheesiest, ricer thing you can do to a car... on the same lines as spinners and CAI's that pick up air from the engine bay.

In short.. caliper covers are trash and worthless, no matter what color.