MGW Shift stops

• Sponsors (?)

personally I say leave them out unless you KNOW they are adjusted right. and if they are adjusted right they are not stoping anything anyways, so why have them at all.

the t-45 and t-3650 have built in shift stops and can not be overshifted. tremec themselfs issued a statement saying they do not recomend the shift stops be used. and I have personally seen several trannies with shift fork damage do to shift stops that were out to far.

so they don't help you and they can rattle loose and then end up causing you to pop out of gear. so why use them :shrug:

I just installed my MGW a couple of days ago. I removed the stops. Your gonna love the way the shifter feels. Leave the stops in until you get the shifter into the car. Once it's in there remove the stops. Pearl02.

I emailed Tremec and asked them about this issue a while ago. Here is their response: (there is supposed to be a picture in between, but it wont copy over)

Dave,

Thank you for your interest in the TREMEC brand product. Below is picture from one of my transmissions. We do not recommend after market shifters, however, we know people will purchase them. We recommend taking the positive stops out. The can be misadjusted, vibrate loose, etc. Your shift fork rides on the synchronizer collar. The blocker ring indexes the gears clutching teeth with the synchronizers clutching teeth.

When you shift the whole collar comes to rest against the face of the gear, so you can not over shift without going through the gear itself. Damaged shift forks are deflection, (or bending of the shift forks), caused by trying to force a shift before the blocker ring indexes the clutching teeth of the gear with the synchronizer ring. If you get deflection, the only part you need to change is the shift fork assembly, not the whole transmission. If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me.

svttech76 said:
personally I say leave them out unless you KNOW they are adjusted right. and if they are adjusted right they are not stoping anything anyways, so why have them at all.

the t-45 and t-3650 have built in shift stops and can not be overshifted. tremec themselfs issued a statement saying they do not recomend the shift stops be used. and I have personally seen several trannies with shift fork damage do to shift stops that were out to far.

so they don't help you and they can rattle loose and then end up causing you to pop out of gear. so why use them :shrug:
Wait, the T-45 has built in stops too? I thought it was only the t-3650?