Mild steel or cromoly cage?

88mouse

Apr 18, 2007
Mooresville nc
Im going to be ordering a roll cage in the next week. I plan on going with the wolfe craft cage. But not really sure on if i want the mild steel or cromoly. Im trying to keep the weight down on the car. The mild steel cage is 130-135lbs shiped from wolfe craft. And the cromoly is 90-95lbs. Witch one do you guys think i should go with?

The car is going to be pretty much a track only car BTW.

• Sponsors (?)

Well just remember moly cages have to be TIG welded and steel cages can be MIG or TIG, just keep that in mind. Track only car, i have a steel 10 point cage and my car is only 2750 pounds.... I went with steel because i couldn't see paying that much for for the minimal weight savings.

-AJ

Well just remember moly cages have to be TIG welded and steel cages can be MIG or TIG, just keep that in mind. Track only car, i have a steel 10 point cage and my car is only 2750 pounds.... I went with steel because i couldn't see paying that much for for the minimal weight savings.

-AJ

Yeah that was pretty much what i was thinking. I can't see paying double for about 40lbs less.

Im also going with the 10 point.

Another thing the i was thinking.... I know Wolfe has pretty good products and stuff, but unless your getting theirs jig notched and ready to weld in, then i would go with a different company for half the price, but if your getting it jig notched then go for it. My S&W Cage was like 269 and i only had to notch the A-Pillar bars. Just an idea....

-AJ

Mild steel. You want a metal that will absorb and bend.... Moly has a tendency to break which being in a car, in the instance, you are in with the cage breaking around you is not good.
Kevin

Mild steel. You want a metal that will absorb and bend.... Moly has a tendency to break which being in a car, in the instance, you are in with the cage breaking around you is not good.
Kevin

MMMMM that might be true, but if you look at most of the fast radial cars or 10.5 outlaw cars and top fuel those of some of the fastest car out there, they are all using moly, I'm sure if it was a problem there would be rules against using it.

-AJ

Very true. Those cages aren't mailorder and assembled in the garage either. Their cages are probably worth more than my car. Per pound, moly will be stronger than the mild since that is a consern.
Kevin