Mm Steering Shaft Not Fitting

stpete

Dec 26, 2015
I got a MM steering shaft as the solution to my wonky steering which was definitely caused by a bad rag joint. The part that goes into the steering column won't go in. It gets stuck. When I tried to tap it in, it went in about 1/16" and took me about half an hour to get back out. Yes, I am fully aware of the one concave side. The old one will slide in and out all day long. I tried to grind a little out of the concave side in front of the hole because it looked like it would hang up there. But, no joy. I'm done for the day for other reasons. Anyone have a similar problem?
My first instinct is to go up to autozone, get a $10 rag joint, and send this expensive thing back. Between this and my truck, I have to admit I'm starting to have very limited patience for aftermarket parts that aren't right.

• Sponsors (?)

I got a MM steering shaft as the solution to my wonky steering which was definitely caused by a bad rag joint. The part that goes into the steering column won't go in. It gets stuck. When I tried to tap it in, it went in about 1/16" and took me about half an hour to get back out. Yes, I am fully aware of the one concave side. The old one will slide in and out all day long. I tried to grind a little out of the concave side in front of the hole because it looked like it would hang up there. But, no joy. I'm done for the day for other reasons. Anyone have a similar problem?
My first instinct is to go up to autozone, get a $10 rag joint, and send this expensive thing back. Between this and my truck, I have to admit I'm starting to have very limited patience for aftermarket parts that aren't right.
I was planning on getting the same thing. This might belong on the tech side.

@jrichker is sure to know more than me.

Call Maximum Motorsports, they have excellent tech support and are way smarter about they're products in relation to our foxbody cars than we are. Good luck and report back with the solution.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I will try to call MM today but I doubt they'll be there on a Sunday. I've tried grease. If there is nothing in the instructions that I overlooked, I have a rag joint in hand and the MM part goes back. Between this and the Excursion, I've had too many projects gone bad lately. Several (especially on the Excursion) have had to do with aftermarket parts that didn't fit or work right. With one exception, all my issues have been taken care of with good customer service from either the seller or mfr. But, I'll take success and a rag joint over failure and waiting on MM this weekend.

use the rag joint until you can contact them on Tuesday. on another note, can you post a picture of the rag joint and MM shaft ends next to each other so we can see whats going on? Its possible somebody sent you a part for a different model year. I have a lot of MM parts on my car and quality and fit are always top notch. Good luck!

I have the MM shaft as well. Went in pretty easy. But 180* rotated, it would not fit at all.

You may have rust, dirt, grease, or similar keeping it for fitting. Or some type of burr grabbing the shaft.

I mic'ed the thing and it was slightly smaller in every dimension than the original. Found a couple really minor burrs, filed them off, still no joy. The only explanation I could come up with was that it had flats at the top of the concave where the stock one was much sharper. So, applied die grinder and deepened/widened the concave. I could see right away that it was going in easier. After a little more grinding I was able to tap it home. Now on to finish the install. Man do I have a gnarly deep bruise on the inside of my forearm. I think it was rubbing the clutch cable when I was trying to get the thing back out after my first attempt at hammering it in.
Hmmm ... I wonder if that rag joint will fit the Excursion?