Mod help for a 02 gt

I don't post here that often, but I need everyone's opinion as to what I should do next. I have about $500 to spend. My initial thoughts were gears but with the cost of the install + the tuner to correct the speedo, it will cost me a lot more than $500.

So far my options are:

1) MAC Longtube headers + matching o/r x-pipe = $470 shipped
2) 15x8 rims (for track) + frpp aluminum driveshaft + driveshaft safety loop = $510 + shipping.

I have a buddy of mine giving me 275/50/15 Mickey Thompson ET Streets for the 15's.

I'm really lost as to what I should do. What do you guys think? Any other options you guys can think of for $500? :shrug:

-Ron

• Sponsors (?)

If it were me I'd save up just a little more and do the gears... the install cost won't be all that bad, especially compared to the install cost of the headers. And putting new headers on our cars won't give you a big power increase still being N/A and with no head or cam work. I think you'll get the best bang for your buck from the gears and tuner too.

I agree. With the mods that you already have, gears would be the next logical step IMO. Headers won't give that big a gain and the other stuff will really only make a huge difference at the track. You'll appreciate the gears every time you drive the car.

You can find good used deals if you look carefully. I bought some FRPP 3.73 gears and a predator this year for just under $300 including shipping. I was patient and waited for a good deal but you should still be able to get gears for about $100 and a tuner for about $250. That would still leave you with enough money for an install.

Thanks for the responses. Gears aren't something that I really want to buy used. I'd rather be safer and get new ones, plus new ones are only $150.

I'm prolly just going to pick up a tuner and get the car tuned and then pick up the gears later on.

I'll venture to say that putting in Long tubes w/o installing a tubular K at the same time is insane.... They are not fun nor do I care to do it to my car now. Gears will def give you the best bang for your buck.