Modify or restore???

SN65

Oct 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
Here is a note dropped to me from a possible customer. He wants us to modify his car...

The car was built on the 26th of May, 1964. So it is fairly early (this was the49,371 in production at the Dearborn plant). Car was purchased at Newby Ford Sales, in Henrietta, TX on June 10th 1964.

It has a 260 V8, 3spd, Raven Black, white vinyl with black trim standard interior. One thing strange is it said it had 4:11 gears. Pics of engine bay to follow. I really do not think that this car is all that rare, especially since it is a coupe. I have to do something with it, and I agreed to resto it and not sell the car. If I am going to drive it and keep it I would rather restomod this car unless you talk me out of it.

So... What do you think? Is this a keeper and if so, how much would a concorse restored version be worth?

• Sponsors (?)

No Marti on that car, unfortunately for us early owners, all records before 1967 were destroyed.

Factory 3-speed with 4.11 gears seems like a typo.

Sounds like a nice color combo, kinda makes me think tuxedo, I think I'd restore if it's in pretty decent shape to begin with. Might modify it with a more deluxe interior in the same black/white combo and some styled steel wheels and an underhood Sprint package, but I don't think I'd do anything that couldn't be reversed with some hand tools.

The thoughts that runs through my mind are...

Early 64.5....

260 V8....

Are these cars in demand??? How much would you pay for a SOLID (no major rust, good struct, etc...) example.

4,000? 5,000? More???

What is the current value of a 95 point concorse show winning example???

I'm usually in the mod camp myself, but if the car can be restored without major surgery I'm leaning that way on this one. If he doesn't want a stocker then he can sell it for more $$$ than it will take to get a good candidate for a restomod.

My friend tried to buy a 65 coupe from KAR in Columbus Ohio about two years ago that was MCA Gold Certified (I think that is the way it was worded.) Anyway it was judged by MCA to by a #1 car. They wanted almost $16,000 for it. He wound up buying a real nice 65 convertible. I'm sure prices are higher now. I think the people restomodding good cars will be sorry some day but it's their car to do with as they wish. I think some day the cars closer to stock will be worth much more because they'll be harder to obtain. I wouldn't do anything I couldn't reverse. Bottom line is that it's your car and you should do what makes you happy.

If it's still all original and in very good condition, I'd consider restoring. Otherwise, I'd go for the restomod approach. as for the 4.11 rear gears, Ford never made those for the 8" rearend. The car would have to have an actual 9" rear in order to have 4.11s.

I'd say minimum 15 to 20k. A 260/3-speed with a 4.11 9" would have to be pretty rare. But if he sinks 25k into a serious restomod to the same standards, it'll probably be worth 12-15k. I saw somewhere, maybe on your website that you have 300k into SN65. Leno may pay that for it, but I think if you were to sell, you'd be lucky to get half that out of it (and don't get me wrong, I LOVE SN65). Point is, if he keeps it MCA #1, in 10 years it'd be worth at least 25k.

I have a 260 3 speed and I am modifying it. modifying was the plan from day one and this deal just poped up. I have built a new engine for it, dropped a t-5, getting a 9", but I am keeping all that original stuff in storage. Sure, 260 mustangs aren't all THAT rare, but as stated before they dont grow on trees and many have been re-engined. You can still have a lot of fun modifying without making irreversible changes.

Restomod it the Eleanore's are bringing in more the the 68 fastback's.
The SN95 should be worth more then a restored hipo fastback.
The shelby clones bring in more the restored fastbacks.
You really cant lose anyway, you proved your craftmanship if you build it someone will buy it.

strange65 said:
Restomod it the Eleanore's are bringing in more the the 68 fastback's.
The SN95 should be worth more then a restored hipo fastback.
The shelby clones bring in more the restored fastbacks.
You really cant lose anyway, you proved your craftmanship if you build it someone will buy it.
I'll bet in 10 to 20 years all the Elenores and Shelby clones will not be worth what they're bringing today. They'll be looked at like the General Lee's, Starsky & Hutch Torino's and Smokey & the Bandit Firebirds are now. Relics of a 70's fad. :rolleyes: The only reason the Eleanors and Shelby clones bring more now, is the buyers have more money to toss away than sense.:lol:

D.Hearne said:
I'll bet in 10 to 20 years all the Elenores and Shelby clones will not be worth what they're bringing today. They'll be looked at like the General Lee's, Starsky & Hutch Torino's and Smokey & the Bandit Firebirds are now. Relics of a 70's fad. :rolleyes: The only reason the Eleanors and Shelby clones bring more now, is the buyers have more money to toss away than sense.:lol:

Exactly. The Elenore fad will die a very quick death, and I bet not too far off in the distant future just like the General Lee thing. As far as Shelby Clones, some do very well because the work is very high caliber, but many are thrown together crap, and they will be weeded out shortly as well.

I am more of a purist, and I would bet as time goes on, the market will become more of a purist.

The only trend I see continuing are E-Body's. It is amazing just how many 440/6 and Hemi's started life as a 318.

What I don't understand is the statement from strange65 that the SN95's should be worth more than a HIPO fastback. Whats up with that statement.

I never did understand the concourse thing myself. I mean your buying new parts to make a mustang look old again? As long as you don't do something you can't reverse, and on a mustang you can build them from the parts stores if you want them! If he wants to get crazy with the restomod just sell it, the one thing it has is that its an original v8. Get a I6 car and do what you will. I modified mine but its nothing that can't be switched back when I'm 90 lol. J/K, old guys ;-)

I don't know if the "modifization" (there I coined a new phrase) of old cars will ever die. It is a phase that finds its way into all aspects of the auto hobby. It always seems to happen to cars that are about 30-40 years old. It happened to cars from the 30's, 40's, 50's and now the 60's and soon the 70's.

Mark my words. The rare cars will always be restored. The common ones are all destined to be modified.

SN65 said:
I don't know if the "modifization" (there I coined a new phrase) of old cars will ever die.

Mark my words. The rare cars will always be restored. The common ones are all destined to be modified.
So true. That's why I voted for you not to do a restomed to that one. Like I said, original 260 V8 Stangs aren't common place by any means. 289 Stangs? Yea, there were tons of them, still are. Is that 4.11 rear the car's original ?