Mods to beat a stock 03-04 cobra?

WallyKilla

Sep 28, 2009
My friend has an 04 stock cobra and I am getting an 05 GT 5sp next summer and would like to pull on him or at least keep up with out forced induction or juice. Is that possible?

• Sponsors (?)

I believe they are about the same weight or maybe 100 pounds heavier. With the mods you are talking about you will have about 300 to the ground. He has about 360 to the ground i'd say. I would say a blower will be needed.

A stock 2003/04 cobra is rated at 390HP. This rating is also very conservative, with some making upward of 430HP totally stock.

The Cobra coupe weighs 3665lbs. An '05 GT coupe weighs 3483 lbs.

Both come stock with 3.55 gears (with the '05 GT being a 5 speed), but the Terminator is IRS vs the GT's solid axle.

Even with a slight weight advantage, you would have to have gears and a seriously built motor to even stand a chance N/A.

My friend has an 04 stock cobra and I am getting an 05 GT 5sp next summer and would like to pull on him or at least keep up with out forced induction or juice. Is that possible?

what will you do if you DO build your car and beat him, then he upgrades ? You upgrade, then he upgrades, on and on. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just sayin. There always someone faster out there somewhere. Once you start on the faster than the next guy trail your life may not be your own, haha. :rlaugh:

If the Cobra did decide to upgrade, you would be at a big disadvantage. The forged bottom end in the 4V motor puts up with a ton of boost with just a bigger blower and fuel upgrade. That engine is very strong, comparable to the GT500 engine with 49 fewer cubic inches. If you actually went to the drag strip against a Cobra, you could make up a lot of the difference with some slicks. On the same tires you would need a blower to beat him.