Momo steering wheel install problem... please help!

StangBullitt01

Feb 18, 2006
I have a 91 Mustang GT, and wanted to install a Momo Apache steering wheel. There is a problem with the hub adapter, and it was the only one I could find. I got a Momo hub adapter (part #4025), but the adapter wont go all the way down to touch the 3 points. So i can put the steering wheel on but i can have a horn or hook up my roll control.

I talked to Momo and they said that the adapter will only fit from 79-89, and they dont make an adapter for the air bag equipped models. I looked around alot and havent found an adapter that would work. I have seen one installed before in 5.0 magazine, but it didnt say what adapter that was used.

If anyone has any ideas or know what adapter I need please let me know....I would really appreciate it.

• Sponsors (?)

Ok so I need to install a 87-93 Mustang steering wheel colomn, but does it matter if its a tilt or not? Also I wanted to know if all the wiring is the same as the 90-93 wheel or do I need to change that to? Im not sure if I need to a certain year or not either. Please help

You need to install a non-airbag column - pre '90 I believe. Basically, '89 or newer as that is what you said Momo claimed would work anyway.

A lot of people do the switch. I am assuming if you can swap to tilt, you should because adjustability is key if you plan on using the wheel to do anything beyond drag strip runs.

I think someone posted a link in the past with a steering wheel swap how-to. Anyone recall what site that was?

I know this is a super old post but there's now some on eBay are available for the 1990-2004 Mustang year range designed for use with clock spring. They are sold as for off-road use only, presumably because you lose airbag anyway, but they fit and currently seem to be the only ones I've seen that has something that actually fits without having to modify clock spring or make stuff to cover the gaping hole left by MOMO/NRG adapters when you have to take out clock spring. Additionally, the cruise switch that American Muscle indicated you needed for the MOMO adapter appears to have been discontinued by Ford so MOMO's adapter on the airbag models would require custom wiring now anyway (or cruise/horn switch from junker). Anyway, the adapter can be found on eBay by searching Mustang SWA-001 and they have two different styles (angular like NRG and rounded presumably to be different)

I know this is a super old post but there's now some on eBay are available for the 1990-2004 Mustang year range designed for use with clock spring. They are sold as for off-road use only, presumably because you lose airbag anyway, but they fit and currently seem to be the only ones I've seen that has something that actually fits without having to modify clock spring or make stuff to cover the gaping hole left by MOMO/NRG adapters when you have to take out clock spring. Additionally, the cruise switch that American Muscle indicated you needed for the MOMO adapter appears to have been discontinued by Ford so MOMO's adapter on the airbag models would require custom wiring now anyway (or cruise/horn switch from junker). Anyway, the adapter can be found on eBay by searching Mustang SWA-001 and they have two different styles (angular like NRG and rounded presumably to be different)

Just buy a tilt column.

Reactions: 1 user