Monte Carlo bar or no Monte Carlo bar?

It helps keep the unibody in front of the firewall dimentionally stable. Over time the tops of the fenders can begin to move towards each other. Bigger tires, engines and stiffer suspension can all contribute to flexing of the front end. I have seen a few people on this board have trouble installing the because the bar would not fit until the front end was spread out. That is why I say run it. I would love to hear why it should be removed. Drag racing? I can't think of any other reasons.

Justa personal opinion but I'd say keep it. My 69 couple should have had one ages ago. The inner edges of the fenders have paint cracked due to flexing. That was with stock support bars, no monte. It will have a single tubular export/monte this rebuild.
-Stephen

well by removing mine the crack in my shock tower showed up in about two weeks, so i found the crack.. i dunno if thats a bad thing or a good thing.. haha, if you havent see what my shock tower looked like find the thread there are pics in there..

Well a guy who was doing my body work took it upon himself to remove it without asking. He says its aint doing it any good unless Im racing at the track and all its doing is wearing the **** out of my tires (which it is).

66nightMARE said:
Well a guy who was doing my body work took it upon himself to remove it without asking. He says its aint doing it any good unless Im racing at the track and all its doing is wearing the **** out of my tires (which it is).

if your tires are wearing badly, its not because of the monte carlo bar. the alignment is off somewhere, and/or you have some worn suspension parts. all the monte carlo bar does is stiffen the front end for better handling in ALL driving regimes. tell the guy you want your monte carlo bar put back on.

Exactly what I was gonna say!

66nightMARE said:

I'm trying to think why he would say this. The only thing I can come up with is that if you installed a MC bar on a car with sagging towers and did not realign, there could be enough change in alignment to cause tire wear. The shock tower holds the mounting points for the upper control arm. Changing the angle of the shock tower would alter alignment measurements.

Agree with others, MC bars are a good deal. Do not remove it, get your alignment adjusted.

Well, your body guy is full of sh!#. AS other's have said, the car was likely aligned without the bar in place. I never noticed any unusual wear on my tires after installing the bar and I had to jack my front end up to install it (the wear on my rear tires is another story, but that was both with and without the bar ), which leads me to believe that you need the bar even worse as the front end would seem to be in worse shape. Another thing is, you might not be able to install the bar back into place due to the body guy's work. These things are produced on a jig and the measurments had come off an unwrecked, non sagging car. If you can't get the thing to fit, there is something terribly wrong.

now that i put mine back on after welding up the shok tower and bracing it my car creaks on the drivers side which also made me notice that it didnt creek after i took it iff the first time and did before i took it off.. where should i slap the greese on?

you need to replace the upper control arm bushings, not just grease them. they are the reason your shock towers cracked in the first place. when the upper bushing freezes up, the shock towers flex, and crack.