More info on 7 Up Cars

Good morning y'all from Richmond, Virginia. I just picked up a 1990 "7-Up" LX Convertible with 54,000 original miles. In researching the car, it appears there were only two cars built when the planned contest was cancelled just before the NCAA Tournament where it was originally touted that 30 were to be given away to winners able to successfully make a basket from half-court. Does anyone have any more information on exactly "why" the promotion was cancelled? I haven't been able to find out much, but heard that it was because the 30 cars weren't available and only two were built at that moment in time. Ford went on to build another 4,000 of these, but well after the contest date. I have the original window sticker and sales paperwork on my car (it was sold 2 weeks after the cancelled contest), and believe it may be one of the original two produced, and if so would like to document it. It is all original paint (except for the hood),but appears that the hood was repainted or spotted in (the original 2 cars had the 7-Up logo on the hood, I was told). Any additional information would be extremely appreciated!

Attachments

• 1990 Mustand 0511 (1).JPG
    1990 Mustand 0511 (1).JPG
    473.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 1990 Mustand 0511 (2).JPG
    1990 Mustand 0511 (2).JPG
    490 KB · Views: 174
  • 1990 Mustand 0511 (3).JPG
    1990 Mustand 0511 (3).JPG
    498.7 KB · Views: 184
  • 1990 Mustand 0511 (4).JPG
    1990 Mustand 0511 (4).JPG
    442.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 1990 Mustand 0511 (5) - Copy.JPG
    1990 Mustand 0511 (5) - Copy.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 614
  • Sponsors (?)

Ford produced the car and THEN the car was chosen for the giveaway. Not the other way around.

http://90limited7up.mysite.com/about.html
1990 Limited Edtion Mustang Convertible - General Information
Production of these cars started in December of 1989, with only two cars being built. Full production began February 2, 1990 with the final car being built May 29, 1990.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_NCAA_Division_I_Men's_Basketball_Tournament
The 1990 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament ... began on March 15, 1990, and ended with the championship game on April 2 ...

So full production of the 1990 LE convertible started five weeks and six days BEFORE the 1990 NCAA tournament even started. Never mind the giveaway was supposed to happen during or after the "finals", which was two months after full production started.

Production, from buck to release, does not take two months. It takes anywhere from less than a week to up to less than two weeks, if everything is on schedule.

So unless the production date of your PA P44E is 12/89 you do not have one of the first two.

My suspicion is the production date is actually 02/90 through 05/90.

What kind of miles on it now?
i'd be drive'n that thing, top down, early evening cruise up the coast wearing a pretentious hat waving at all the jealous tourists standing along the road wishing they were me, ahhh, the memories of when I had a convertible.

Nothing was wrong with it...white one was for a 92...the green ones were for an 89. Guy took everything....and a king size bed and frame, full size bed frame....and a almost new microwave. Even helped me move some stuff to my inlaws.
i'd be drive'n that thing, top down, early evening cruise up the coast wearing a pretentious hat waving at all the jealous tourists standing along the road wishing they were me, ahhh, the memories of when I had a convertible.

hella yeah, I'd be driving the piss out of it.... Id want to enjoy it, could be dead tomorrow.... if i'm keeping the car, I could careless how many miles I put on it... as long as I enjoyed it...

I'm not a fan of converts (I'd never have one) but damn, that is a nice clean car....

Ford produced the car and THEN the car was chosen for the giveaway. Not the other way around.

It has 54,000 original miles on it, documented through Carfax.

http://90limited7up.mysite.com/about.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_NCAA_Division_I_Men's_Basketball_Tournament

So full production of the 1990 LE convertible started five weeks and six days BEFORE the 1990 NCAA tournament even started. Never mind the giveaway was supposed to happen during or after the "finals", which was two months after full production started.

Production, from buck to release, does not take two months. It takes anywhere from less than a week to up to less than two weeks, if everything is on schedule.