MORE rear end noise and vibration

• Sponsors (?)

Drive shaft vibrations

Twisted the shaft? Impressive! With or without slicks?:hail2: :burnout:

Bolts were tight.

I'll know soon. Less than 24 hours if Summit and Fed Ex are on time. The Fed Ex guy likes to ring the door bell and run like he left a May Day basket. But sometimes he leaves the "3rd and last delivery attempt" note on the first visit. I may sit on the front porch with my laptop computer, then a good book and a cold drink until he arrives! And if he leaves a note while I'm in the bathroom, I'm going to the Fed Ex station to get my part and file a complaint this time.

At least Fed Ex is easier on the parts than UPS has been since about two Halloweens ago. Little boxes go on the bottom, don't they? :nono:

T-5 Tailshaft bushing tool

So the Fed Ex driver really did ring the doorbell and ran like he left a May Day basket. The ford Performance alluminum shaft assy. is nice. BUT, the tailshaft bushing needs replaced too, and no one local can find the special tool to pull the bushing out without tearing apart the tranny to push it out.

Ford and the tool making places appear to not make then anymore. Right ot wrong? ANYONE HAVE A SOURCE?? The local tranny places can not find a new or used tool either. The tool should slip around (over) the output shaft, then expand a little to hook the bushing and pull the bushing out so the old one does not tear up my new slip end of my driveshaft. The machinist at the shop is MAKING one for my car from drawings and brains. With as many T-5's as Ford and GM used, is it really this hard to get the right tool??? :shrug:
HELP!

its going to be the drive shaft bolts...but i wouldnt recommend the poly..i upgraded the entire GT covertible to them..must say...its a tighter ride but harsh on the road. if you hit the slightest bump you will feel it as if you hit a crater!!!!!

Do a couple google searches, there are methods to getting the tailshaft bushing out and back in with the trans in the car.
I've heard of it being done with the tool, heat and freezing the bushing, splitting the old bushing and hammering on a new one with a pipe. All kinds of way.
The tool is obviously the best, but seems that's it's not always that easy to come by.

the Vibration problem is solved with the new drive shaft and bushing/seal kit installed and the new mount. The old slip yoke was scarred with many rings whre it should have been smooth. So the bushing was probably damaged too. The tool they made worked slick and I do not see where I was charged their time making it. Any high speed vibration now does not come through the shifter.

I may still have some bearing noise, but I'll know for sure when a wheel falls off or the ring gear exits the back, right???

To MFE92
"Have you checked any of the control arm bushings yet?"
Yes, they do not look great, somewhat smooshed and maybe a crack, but are complete.

To BIGVINO
"check to see if the mfflers are rubbing against the driveshaft"

They are fine and have plenty of clearance. But funny thing, when i was driving today, the hottest day of the year so far, the passenger side pipe got hot and grew in length enough to rub on some thick metal where it curves around the gas tank. IT SOUNDED HORRIBLE! The pipe quickly cooled off and was fine until it hot again. It will go back to the muffler shop that put my quieter super turbo mufflers in.

TO 03HELO
"its going to be the drive shaft bolts ...but i wouldnt recommend the poly"

The bolts were among the first things I checked. The poly tranny mount may transmit a little whine in second, but the old one was shot, and with other upgrades it still seems like a good precaution. But I will not do the control arms that way now you typed.

Thanks for those who tried to help, and especially to those who pointed me in the right direction!

the Vibration problem is solved with the new drive shaft and bushing/seal kit installed and the new mount. The old slip yoke was scarred with many rings whre it should have been smooth. So the bushing was probably damaged too. The tool they made worked slick and I do not see where I was charged their time making it. Any high speed vibration now does not come through the shifter.

I may still have some bearing noise, but I'll know for sure when a wheel falls off or the ring gear exits the back, right???

To MFE92
"Have you checked any of the control arm bushings yet?"
Yes, they do not look great, somewhat smooshed and maybe a crack, but are complete.

To BIGVINO
"check to see if the mfflers are rubbing against the driveshaft"

They are fine and have plenty of clearance. But funny thing, when i was driving today, the hottest day of the year so far, the passenger side pipe got hot and grew in length enough to rub on some thick metal where it curves around the gas tank. IT SOUNDED HORRIBLE! The pipe quickly cooled off and was fine until it hot again. It will go back to the muffler shop that put my quieter super turbo mufflers in.

TO 03HELO
"its going to be the drive shaft bolts ...but i wouldnt recommend the poly"

The bolts were among the first things I checked. The poly tranny mount may transmit a little whine in second, but the old one was shot, and with other upgrades it still seems like a good precaution. But I will not do the control arms that way now you typed.

Thanks for those who tried to help, and especially to those who pointed me in the right direction!
got any pics of the tool they made