motor install.... Now coolant leak?

J smitty

Mar 22, 2007
Foristell Mo
So i just installed my MMR stroker 850 with rebuilt and decked heads. Now there is coolant leaking from the head gaskets and inside the valley of the block there is a slight leak. Its not a major leak it just kind of runs down the block. I also installed ARP headstuds with this project, and my ford mechanic friend helped me torque them down in 3 stages to 90 ftlb like the directions says. does anybody know if it should be more than this?

• Sponsors (?)

More information?

Can you go through the procedure used to install? What/how were the studs prepared? Sealant? Molly lube?

What is the manf recommdations regarding bottoming out of the studs?

Are you sure it is not leaking from the heater return hard line? Or the intake manifold crossover?

When did the leak start? Pictures?

IMO, it is very bad to have any leak in a brand new build.

excessive assembly lub & hydro-locking

Recently read a warning about cleaning out the bolt holes prior to assembly. If there is excessive fluid left in the block holes (or excessive assembly lub is used), the fluid will hydro-lock the head bolts causing premature torque yield. This results in not enough cylinder head clamping load to properly seal the head gasket.

Is it possible that excessive assembly lub was used causing the head bolts to hydro-lock?

Recently read another post regarding installation of the oil passage blocking plugs. The note stated to be certain the block off plugs are installed below the level of the deck.

I could see a case if not recessed, this could cause incomplete head sealing.

How were the oil passage way plugs installed?

tried torqing the heads down more and it worked well for the first few start ups now there is coolant in the valley of the block and rolling down the back of the block around the starter and on the tranny. So now i guess i have to remove the heads?

Can you see where the coolant is coming out as it's leaking? Is that why you think it's the head gaskets and not some other source? If so, check all the things WMBurns suggested.

What block (iron or aluminum and which version), heads (PI or NPI), intake manifold (stock, aftermarket, and PI or NPI) and intake gaskets (PI or NPI) are in this thing. How much material was removed from the heads when they were decked?