• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Motor Out, Now Confusion.

  • Thread starter Thread starter 85rkyboby
  • Start date Start date Feb 16, 2015

85rkyboby

Active Member
Mar 2, 2011
923
96
39
South ATL
Feb 16, 2015
#1
  • Feb 16, 2015
  • #1
I pulled my motor out this last weekend. Tore it down. This is a 1980 302 block out of a Full Sized Ford. It has cross hatching that looks good! I was glad, but to my surprise the pistons have two valve reliefs. What's up with that? Not sure if it matters but the reason I pulled the motor was due to low compression in one cylinder. Squirt a little oil in the cylinder and the compression jumped back up. Bad Rings. Anything look different on this motor than what would come standard?
 

Attachments

  • 2015-2-14 Pulling 302 2 (Rebuild).webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 270
  • 2015-2-14 Front Accessories (Rebuild).webp
    96.5 KB · Views: 241
  • 2015-2-14 Front Accessories Water Pump Removed (Rebuild).webp
    87.8 KB · Views: 291
  • 2015-2-15 Intake off (Rebuild).webp
    27.7 KB · Views: 265
  • 2015-2-15 Cylinder Heads off (Rebuild).webp
    34.9 KB · Views: 262
  • 2015-2-15 Cross Hatching (Rebuild).webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 271
  • 2015-2-15 Crank (Rebuild).webp
    23 KB · Views: 230

picku

New Member
Jan 26, 2015
14
1
3
Oklahoma
Feb 17, 2015
#2
  • Feb 17, 2015
  • #2
On the picture the cross hatching doesn´t really looking like a cross hatching????
 

stykthyn

I want to measure mine. It doesn't look that tall.
15 Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
5,232
2,652
223
gainesville
Feb 17, 2015
#3
  • Feb 17, 2015
  • #3
thats an 80 block? why would that be in there? thats not a roller block. what heads were you running?
 

85rkyboby

Active Member
Mar 2, 2011
923
96
39
South ATL
Feb 17, 2015
#4
  • Feb 17, 2015
  • #4
picku said:
On the picture the cross hatching doesn´t really looking like a cross hatching????
Click to expand...
What's it look like?
stykthyn said:
thats an 80 block? why would that be in there? thats not a roller block. what heads were you running?
Click to expand...
Yepper. E0 block. PO installed it. Nope not a roller, as for the heads I'm not sure. I assumed E5's.

Any info on this or help is much appreciated. Where would a casting number be found on the heads?
 

BMW Rider

Mustang Master
Oct 9, 2014
140
277
83
Calgary, AB, Canada
Feb 18, 2015
#5
  • Feb 18, 2015
  • #5
The valve relief cuts on the piston is normal. In production assembly when the piston is installed on the rod, it does not matter the orientation as the piston can fit either way.
 
Reactions: 85rkyboby

stykthyn

I want to measure mine. It doesn't look that tall.
15 Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
5,232
2,652
223
gainesville
Feb 19, 2015
#6
  • Feb 19, 2015
  • #6
I wouldnt even mess with that. get an explorer engine.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,327
18,051
224
Massachusetts
Feb 20, 2015
#7
  • Feb 20, 2015
  • #7
Underside of the head where the rods pass through is where you will find the casting number.
 
Reactions: 85rkyboby

85rkyboby

Active Member
Mar 2, 2011
923
96
39
South ATL
Feb 22, 2015
#8
  • Feb 22, 2015
  • #8
Mustang5L5 said:
Underside of the head where the rods pass through is where you will find the casting number.
Click to expand...
Thanks. I'll check it out in the morning.
 

85rkyboby

Active Member
Mar 2, 2011
923
96
39
South ATL
Feb 24, 2015
#9
  • Feb 24, 2015
  • #9
Mustang5L5 said:
Underside of the head where the rods pass through is where you will find the casting number.
Click to expand...
D80E was on the bottom of the cyllinder head. I think these have big 68-70cc combustion chambers. Turd.

stykthyn said:
I wouldnt even mess with that. get an explorer engine.
Click to expand...
I have a buddy that has a 98k mile Explorer motor with GT40 heads. He wants $550, I spent the last night talking him down to $400 and a pack of Red Apple Ale.

My whole thing was I could rebuild the flat tappet motor for around $200. If I go with this GT40 motor I'll be around $700 into said and done. I understand why one would want a roller motor of a prehistoric flat tappet. I do have a few questions though, if someone can help. Flat tappet motors wear out rings quicker due to the metal shavings coming off the cam, correct? How long would one expect a flat tappet to last in spirited driving conditions, before needing a rebuild again? I understand there's a ton of variables.

I really just need a motor in the car long enough for me to finish my 351 build. Then I'll try and find a fox for the misses and give her the 302.
 

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
7,387
2,745
194
Kearney, NE
Feb 24, 2015
#10
  • Feb 24, 2015
  • #10
stykthyn said:
I wouldnt even mess with that. get an explorer engine.
Click to expand...
Exploder engines are getting harder to find in good shape. Most of them are driven until the wheels fall off here. A roller cam is nice, but what are his performance, power and cost goals? If he needs a complete rebuild, then even a worn Explorer block (with the right headers) is a better starting point. Short of that, using zinc additive oil is no big deal for a driver.
 
Reactions: 85rkyboby

85rkyboby

Active Member
Mar 2, 2011
923
96
39
South ATL
Feb 24, 2015
#11
  • Feb 24, 2015
  • #11
7991LXnSHO said:
Exploder engines are getting harder to find in good shape. Most of them are driven until the wheels fall off here. A roller cam is nice, but what are his performance, power and cost goals? If he needs a complete rebuild, then even a worn Explorer block (with the right headers) is a better starting point. Short of that, using zinc additive oil is no big deal for a driver.
Click to expand...
The motor I currently have looks as if its had machine work as well. Cross hatching on the cylinder walls (pics above), the rod bearings look good, only a small spot that has copper coming through. I just don't want to scrap the flat tappet motor for a roller motor that needs machine work. Although the GT40 motors heads, intakes, etc would fetch a penny I presume.

Goals. Cost wise I have about $1300 to spend. Performance isn't a huge issue. I'd like to just make the best with GT40 heads. Say 250rwhp-300rwhp. Street driven motor, will not see a drag strip. I have a heavy foot and love spirited driving.
 

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
11,606
8,859
214
In the garage
Feb 24, 2015
#12
  • Feb 24, 2015
  • #12
If the exploder motor is in good shape, for $400 it's a deal. Swap out the valve springs, cam, timing chain and gears, fresh set of gaskets, new oil pump, rear main seal, and other tune up items. and you'll have a nice little motor that puts out around 260rwhp. Swap over your accesorires, headers, distributor
 
Reactions: 85rkyboby

85rkyboby

Active Member
Mar 2, 2011
923
96
39
South ATL
Feb 24, 2015
#13
  • Feb 24, 2015
  • #13
@mikestang63 Would I see any more power out of a custom ground cam?
 

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
11,606
8,859
214
In the garage
Feb 24, 2015
#14
  • Feb 24, 2015
  • #14
85rkyboby said:
@mikestang63 Would I see any more power out of a custom ground cam?
Click to expand...

Probably but not worth the money in a budget exploder motor. There's more to it than the cam- if you are doing any cam other than the stock 5.0 HO cam you are talking new pushrods. lifters, rockers. At a minimum,. you should get new lifters, check the rockers for wear, and measure for proper pushrod length when you go up in cam past stock. With a TFS1 or similar cam, you might be able to get away with the stock pushrods and rockers.
 

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,358
21,561
234
Box behind Walmart
Feb 24, 2015
#15
  • Feb 24, 2015
  • #15
85rkyboby said:
@mikestang63 Would I see any more power out of a custom ground cam?
Click to expand...

Perhaps but not worth it for the kind of build you're talking about.
 

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,358
21,561
234
Box behind Walmart
Feb 24, 2015
#16
  • Feb 24, 2015
  • #16
Mike beat me by a second.
 
Reactions: 85rkyboby and mikestang63

85rkyboby

Active Member
Mar 2, 2011
923
96
39
South ATL
Feb 24, 2015
#17
  • Feb 24, 2015
  • #17
Thanks @mikestang63 & @Noobz347! Yea, I don't mind throwing some money at the valvetrain setup for a TFS1. I figure $800 should be close to how much I would need.
 

85rkyboby

Active Member
Mar 2, 2011
923
96
39
South ATL
Feb 26, 2015
#18
  • Feb 26, 2015
  • #18
Is the Fel-Pro Gasket Kit Sets FS8346PT a good gasket set?
 

85rkyboby

Active Member
Mar 2, 2011
923
96
39
South ATL
Mar 3, 2015
#19
  • Mar 3, 2015
  • #19
I acquired the 96 Explorer GT40 engine GT40 Cylinder Heads, TFS1 Cam, TF Valve Spring Kit, Melling Oil Pump, Melling Timing Chain Set, FRPP Crankshaft Dampner. I have one question though. I noticed how the GT40P heads have a smaller combustion chamber than the GT40P to raise the CR. I was wondering how much I can mill the heads to bump up the CR, how small can I make the combustion chamber?

Thanks,
Garrick A.R.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Engine Looking for suggestions and or ideas
  • PonyGTrider
  • Aug 25, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
461
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 7, 2026
PonyGTrider
H
Ongoing Battle With Hydraulic Lifters
  • hailer06
  • Jun 8, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
437
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 9, 2026
Noobz347
L
Engine Need help diagnosing 2 dead cylinders
  • lvgnmz
  • Feb 13, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
504
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Feb 13, 2025
Mustang5L5
S
Looking for input on Motor choice
  • stevedjarrell
  • May 28, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
45
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Dec 15, 2025
Noobz347
Motor given to me and I’d like to rebuild it what do I need to do
  • Creomod
  • Dec 14, 2024
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
432
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Dec 16, 2024
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?