Engine Motor Rebuild Help

So my 5.0 is on her last leg, that isn't necessary a bad thing, it gives me an excuse to rebuild it!

Before I get to the help questions, let me tell you guys my intentions for the car:

* I want a fun street car, something that I can play with people off of red lights, so I could care less what it can do in a 1/4 mile.

* I really want to get as close as possible to 500hp to the wheels, but no less than 450rwhp. I feel like that is enough power to have fun with, but nothing that is going to pop wheelies, I hope.

* This will be my weekend warrior, so it won't be my daily driver, but I do want the motor to last a good while.

So with all that being said, here is where I need help:

I have been thinking about building a 331 stroker with a turbo at a low psi (8-10), like I said I want upwards of 500rwhp, I hear the stock block may not be able to handle that, so would it be recommend that I get an aftermarket block? I would like to reuse the block if at all possible.

What about the pistons? Like I said, turbo, so do I pistons that are designed for a turbo for better performance?

I really don't know a whole lot about motors, so I don't plan on building it myself, I plan on taking all the parts to a performance shop and having them put it together for me; and that way I can have them tune it since they know whats in it.

What other things do I need to consider when going with this build? Camshafts, crankshaft, rods, valves, heads, etc. Like I said, I really don't know anything about motors. I need help picking out parts for the builders down the road. What about the upper end of the motor, throttle body, maf, injectors, rails, upper intake, etc.

Basically, I know what I want. 331 stroker with a turbo to hopefully gain ~500rwhp, I don't know what parts I need. I am open to suggestions on considering a different build. I don't plan on putting a turbo once I get the motor, I plan on adding it later, because money doesn't grow on trees.

Do note, I have been upgrading the car for more horsepower. It has a very large fuel pump 255LPH, I have upgraded the suspension, I am going to add subframe connectors, upgraded the brakes, plan on upgrading the cooling system as well. Any other things I need to upgrade for a more powerful motor?

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm going to point out some contradictions in your purposed build and hopefully help you and not offend you.

So many people have big dreams of "big" horsepower and very few have the funds/knowledge/and time. To start with if going with an aftermarket block built by a shop you are talking about the 10-14k range. Add a turbo,proper fuel,ign,exh systems on top of that and you're into the 20-30k range.

If this is not a track car and only a fun street combo don't concentrate on a "dyno" number. It's almost impossible to get a car to do anything but spin the tires with a descent amount of hp/torque. I'm not just talking about from a standing start either. How about at 50-60 mph and you lay into it just to have the rearend swing out from under you? Or on some semi damp road surface where you can barely accelerate without it spinning all over the place.

A stock block is going to have problems around 500 hp. Some last awhile and some don't. The tune is the most important thing for longevity.

A good head/cam/intake combo with a rebuilt stock block stroker is capable of 400rwhp(450+ flywheel hp). Also you will need to upgrade the trans(a t5 will not last with any spirited driving).

I am aware of the cost. When I say aftermarket, I am looking at a Dart 331 SHP. I do want 500rwhp as close as possible, so I am going to need to add a dart block to the list. Yes, I am glad you mention the transmission. I was going to ask in my original post. What should I do with the transmission? Do I need a 6 speed? What are good aftermarket transmissions?

If you want to stay with a stick, then you have 3 major options:

1) upgrade your t5 with an astro kit
2) 3550/tko/tko500/tko600
3) t56

An auto would have to be almost custom built/upgraded whether its an aod, 4r70w, c4, glide, etc.

As far as your motor, if you have a reputable machinist near you, give them a call, or there's a few other good builders around the net (fordstrokers, chp). They'll be able to help put the kind of motor you want into a budget.

500rwhp with a turbo will not be difficult to make. Any cubic inch motor in the 8.2 deck height platform will make those numbers with a decent set of heads, intake and wise cam selection; so your combinations are endless.

I agree with above....find a good reputable builder and you guys decide together. When you are both comfortable with the same plan, it will make things much easier if something goes wrong. On the other hand, if you have him build something he doesn't agree with, and the motor doesn't perform, he will simply walk away from it.

Also, it will be expensive to do it right. The two of you deciding on a build plan in advance will keep you from buying parts twice.

I see it two ways.

1) buy an inexpensive motor, such as an explorer motor, and boost it to 500rwhp. When it blows, you are only out a small amount.

2 ) build a reliable dart based motor with good aftermarket heads, and even with only a few pounds of boost, you will well exceed 500rwhp and not have to worry about it blowing up.

Joe

Reactions: 1 user
If going with a dart I recommend going with a 363 or a big bore 347(a "331" with a 4.125 bore). Having the extra bore diameter helps unshroud the valves and frees up a lot of extra hp potential. These blocks can be bored all the way to 4.185 so you'd still have some meat for a potential rebuild. A really well built 363 can put down 475-500rwhp without a poweradder. But if you are just intent on a turbo version I highly recommend going with a built automatic. It will keep you in boost with no fall off between shifts and "loads" the motor/turbo. I wouldn't mess around with any t5 derivative trans. If going to a manual go with a t56/tko 500/600.

Lots of good information here, thanks guys. I never thought about talking to a builder before hand; thats probably the best idea I have heard. I will start there. I don't mind investing money into a good motor, like most people, I don't think I will ever want to sell this car.

So for the transmission, I do want a manual. I am still wondering if it would be wise to go with a 6-speed, or stick with a 5-speed.
I am going to eventually swap the gears in the differential, I was considering 4.10. Thoughts on that? I don't care about mpg, so don't bother telling me I am going to spend a lot on gas.

I am not dead set on a turbo, in fact, N\A is what I rather have, but I figure I wouldn't make that without a power adder, shows what I know. I just want a powerful, reliable motor, that will last me a good while.

So I am going with a dart block, might as well look at 347's then. Thoughts on this block? Like I said, I am going to start looking for a builder in my area and asking around for advice on shops in my area. I already have a few places lined up.

Also, not that I am worried about it, but mostly curious, how much does builders typically charge for labor? How many hours does it take to build a motor? I have considered doing it myself, I feel like I could do it and do it well, but it would take me twice as long and I wouldn't have confidence in myself. I would worry about it even starting up for the first time. I am a student in engineering and I am really curious on how its done, but I just would rather have someone who KNOWS what they are doing and this would be an expensive learning experience if I messed it up. Hmm, I wonder if a builder would let me help and maybe teach me while he works on my motor.