Engine Can change - valve springs also?

Cg’s 347

Jan 15, 2024
CT
I am tearing apart my motor because I lost oil pressure. While it’s apart I am buying a new cam. My setup is a 347 with edelbrock 60225 heads, Jay Allen custom billet cam, performer rpm 2 intake. I built the motor 20 years ago roughly. I would bet the motor doesn’t have more than 15k miles on it. I want to reuse the heads and intake but I am switching to a comp XE274HR recommended from comp. Trying to decide if I need to change the valve springs. When I built the motor I bought the springs with the cam and I don’t remember the seat pressure but I remember it was high, even the machine asked me if I was sure about it. With that being said should I replace the springs or use the existing? If the springs are too heavy could I damage the cam? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Or use the ones your engine builder recommends. I trust my engine builder a lot more than Comp but he is also the guy machining, porting, and assembling so not you average gas station slap it together and pray guy.

I couldn’t find a recommendation anywhere from Comp for that cam. I was thinking comp cams springs 26925. Seat pressure is 141 and open pressure is 413. I was hoping someone would say the springs I had were fine and I wouldn’t have to take the heads off but I don’t think that’s going to happen!

Did the cam grinder recommend new springs?

When I got my custom grind from FTI there was a couple spring recommendations in terms of seat pressure. I did end up changing out the springs on my TFS170 heads to what was recommended.

I'm running the xe274hr in my 347 with standard tw170s... An older set at that... I used the springs that came on the heads from TFS. Now I don't know if they are similar rates to the ones on your Edelbrock heads but I had no signs of valve float on the Dyno this past fall

I'd have the heads reworked and let the shop that does the work decide what springs to use based on the cam.
You are pulling apart the engine already, might as well get some power of out all this time and money.
Based on your part numbers they are edelbrock performer rpms, which were pretty good back in the day for a 302, but they would be undersized for a 347.
You already have the performer RPMII intake, so might as well make the best of it.

All heads should goto the machine shop when an engine is rebuilt for at least a valve job.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I'd have the heads reworked and let the shop that does the work decide what springs to use based on the cam.
You are pulling apart the engine already, might as well get some power of out all this time and money.
Based on your part numbers they are edelbrock performer rpms, which were pretty good back in the day for a 302, but they would be undersized for a 347.
You already have the performer RPMII intake, so might as well make the best of it.

All heads should goto the machine shop when an engine is rebuilt for at least a valve job.
Can you please pm me.

Can you please pm me.
Sure, but just so you know, i'm married (to a woman). J/K.

If you are going to ask about the heads, me personally i'd probably Call TEA (total engineering airflow) and see if they have a cnc program for that set, they do other edelbrocks so...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users