Motor Skip - 91 5.0

hey folks - thanks for looking.

I've been laid up to unable to drive the car for a few weeks cause I busted up my ankle; just got behind the wheel and was driving great. She was dirty so I decided I'd hit one of those automatic touch less washes. Rolled through and car spray came from underneath as well as around and real quickly could hear the motor noise change.

When I drove out and tried to give a lot of gas it started to stumble. I limped it home and it would run okay around 2,000 rpm. If you tried anything harder it would stumble. Figured something electrical got wet I.E. Cap/rotor or a plug wire or sensor probably. Figured I'd open hood and let it dry out.

Came home next day took it for a quick spin it was a lot better but still stumble a bit.

Thoughts before I replace everything?

I checked the wires couldn't see any cuts, plug wires were all on the plugs well and plugs didn't look wet. Read another thread about something to do with o2 sensor? I have no check engine light on.

Car has MSD distributor and msd wires. Not sure how old they are

Thanks for reading and any insight

John

• Sponsors (?)

Step 1.) Find a dark place and open the hood and start the car. Watch for sparks jumping around the wires.

Step 2.) Pull the distributor cap off and inspect the inside for moisture, carbon tracks or evidence or spark jumping around. Spray the rotor and inside of the cap with WD40 and wipe them off with a paper towel.

Step 3.) Check the coil and spark plug wiring for cracks and carbon tracts.

Step 1.) Find a dark place and open the hood and start the car. Watch for sparks jumping around the wires.

Step 2.) Pull the distributor cap off and inspect the inside for moisture, carbon tracks or evidence or spark jumping around. Spray the rotor and inside of the cap with WD40 and wipe them off with a paper towel.

Step 3.) Check the coil and spark plug wiring for cracks and carbon tracts.

Thank you for the help. I checked it out and no sparks seen. Sounded like it was running well. Haven't started it in since Monday. It originally happened Saturday. Took it for a spin and no stumbling.

Guess I'll keep my eye on it when it rains as well as stick to washing the car at home in the driveway.

My air filter is really low down in the front of the fender... Blower with a boost pipe pits the filth about 8 inches off the ground. Anyway, we had the heaviest rain storm in OKC I've seen in years about a month ago. Without even driving the car, my air filter was completely soaked. Basically just from heavy rain hitting the concrete in the parking lot and splashing up. When I started the car, it just barely ran. Was running super rich cause very little air was getting through the soaked filter. Next day, once it dried, no problem. Haven't had an issue since.