MOTORSPORT T5-Z BOLTED ONTO 351W

408WPN

Aug 30, 2021
New zealand
Is the bell housing a tad smaller for T5-Z
bolted onto 351w block.
Been advised need to use 10.5" clutch kit & possible a smaller flywheel.
Any thoughts

Thanks

ANDY FROM DOWN UNDER NZ

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210830_122448_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210830_122448_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Sponsors (?)

Is the bell housing a tad smaller for T5-Z
bolted onto 351w block.
Been advised need to use 10.5" clutch kit & possible a smaller flywheel.
Any thoughts

Thanks

ANDY FROM DOWN UNDER NZ

302 and 351 share the same bellhousing bolt pattern.

T-5z and standard equipped T5 also share the same dimensions and bolt pattern.

Bellhousing is the same. 10.5" clutch is what came originally in Mustangs.

Flywheel will depend on your rotating assembly balance, but shouldn't be anything special.

If this is a built engine, such as a 408 as your user name suggests, with a heads/cam/intake setup and you haven't purchased the trans yet, I'd buy a better one.
Good tires, strong clutch and a 408 might make short work of a t5z.

Reactions: 1 users
If this is a built engine, such as a 408 as your user name suggests, with a heads/cam/intake setup and you haven't purchased the trans yet, I'd buy a better one.
Good tires, strong clutch and a 408 might make short work of a t5z.
At present just have FMX trans, being down under in New Zealand really dictates price & availability.
My motor pretty mild application I think, so are hoping as long as I treat it nicely with minimum power shifts & burn outs etc I should get away with it
I was going to quote a old post regarding T5-z 1352-251 was promoted at 330 lb torque but since they're still making them they've advertised at 300 lb & wanted to know are they still 330 lb
Package I've purchased is combo package still on its way here from USA & I think there's a couple TKX in the container also but my costs if I went down that route wouldn't include all the other goodies I have in combo package.
Do you know people with the new TKX's, & have they tried to beat them to death
Couple photos added of specs on my crate engine imported from blueprint engines & T5-Z chart

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210831_205300.jpg
    Screenshot_20210831_205300.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20210822_163905_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210822_163905_com.android.chrome.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 55
I had a t5 z with a 302 with 340rwhp (forgot the torque) and i destroyed it in no time. I do drive around on drag radials, though i'm not really a power shifter.

I'm sure the TKX is fine, i don't personally know anyone with it, but at with roughly 480rwhp and 500rwtq the tko600 hasn't given me any trouble. And one would think they at least improved on that.

I'm not sure your engine's output, but it's bigger, heavier and i'd say for sure exceeds a t5z's power rating.

If you are mentioning a container with tkx's, i'm not sure if that means you still have options. I do realize it's going to cost quite a bit more and i understand people have budgets. With that said, the bigger question is that if you break it, do you have the budget to do it a second time.
At a glance, it looks like a t5z is about 2 grand. Seems kinda insane to me.

I had a t5 z with a 302 with 340rwhp (forgot the torque) and i destroyed it in no time. I do drive around on drag radials, though i'm not really a power shifter.

I'm sure the TKX is fine, i don't personally know anyone with it, but at with roughly 480rwhp and 500rwtq the tko600 hasn't given me any trouble. And one would think they at least improved on that.

I'm not sure your engine's output, but it's bigger, heavier and i'd say for sure exceeds a t5z's power rating.

If you are mentioning a container with tkx's, i'm not sure if that means you still have options. I do realize it's going to cost quite a bit more and i understand people have budgets. With that said, the bigger question is that if you break it, do you have the budget to do it a second time.
At a glance, it looks like a t5z is about 2 grand. Seems kinda insane to me.
Yes differently exceeds power rating but plenty of advice from associates & online forums that it could be OK
Researching the hell out of this, am differently swaying on side of TKX.
Have added couple more pics regarding wide ratio vs close ratio & thought the wide ratio might have suited me better as would be doing a lot of highway cruising & the over drive. 68 wouldn't be suitable changing down to 4th (1.0) at 80mph.
But the author went onto say. 72 would be OK.
The TKX that will land in New Zealand end of October will have . 81 over drive, photo attached..
The old saying, do it right the first time.
Rough run down on the history, I found World class T5 online trading site here, had I.D tag, was really happy but then got informed wasn't the tag corresponding to the box & a bit more research resulted in the fact T5 was from 3.8L.
I then had option of purchasing brand new T5-Z combo bell housing, clutch kit, fly wheel etc for extra $1800 which I'm pretty happy with also & at present this deals in place.
Keep in mind I emailed American performance in USA also for a TKX combo quote & by the time converted currency exchange, came to $8300 NZD excluding GST tax when lands in New Zealand.
So at present can now buy TKX for
$6700 NZD box only, no bellhousing or extras etc, when it arrives in shipping container end of October

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210901_121306_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210901_121306_com.android.chrome.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20210901_121421_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210901_121421_com.android.chrome.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20210901_121122.jpg
    Screenshot_20210901_121122.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 35
Moved to Fox section.
So I've bought a new Tremec TKX, It's getting bolted onto Stroked 408ci (351w block)
It was a combo purchase but I've decided I'm going to buy my own flywheel & clutch kit etc
I've got about 475 hp/450 ft lb.
I'm looking at 10.5" 26 spline street pro Mcleod clutch kit #75107, rated at 400hp, surely this is going to handle the jandal as long as I don't thrash it.
There is Super pro Mcleod rated 475hp but the taxes & shipping from USA to New Zealand is a bit of a killer to be honest.
I've also be looking at Spec - SF82S flywheel 28oz 157T, surely I can't go wrong there as bolting onto 351w, another option was Ford performance FMS - 6375 A302B but doesn't come with dowel pins etc

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210905_121812_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210905_121812_com.android.chrome.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 49
While it surely may feel like i'm just spending your money at this point (good choice going with the better trans). It's not really wise to buy a 400hp clutch to be installed on an engine that you just said makes 475hp.
You have gone this far, i'd just skip to the RST.
Trust me, you do not want to do this twice, i've driven through a clutch, it's a sinking feeling.

The flywheel i worry less about. As long as it's the right size, balanced right and you break in the clutch properly, most would do.

While it surely may feel like i'm just spending your money at this point (good choice going with the better trans). It's not really wise to buy a 400hp clutch to be installed on an engine that you just said makes 475hp.
You have gone this far, i'd just skip to the RST.
Trust me, you do not want to do this twice, i've driven through a clutch, it's a sinking feeling.

The flywheel i worry less about. As long as it's the right size, balanced right and you break in the clutch properly, most would do.
Thanks for your input, I've got too much time on my hands at moment with lockdowns etc.
I ended up buying Mcleod super street pro rated at 500hp, the RST way to expensive & then the taxes & shipping to NZ is pretty extreme.

Reactions: 1 user