mountaineer heads?

raiderjoe1

May 10, 2006
does anyone know if the heads on these suv's are the same as the explorer heads that peop's put their 5.0's?i have an 88 gt 5.0 with 80,000+miles on it.minor mods:rebuilt stock heads,93cobra u/l intake w/65mm t.b.,mac cai,steeda pulleys&smog p elim.,shortys,o/r h,flowmaster 40's dumped.bbk strut bar,eibach springs,sensatrac shocks,stock struts.later i want to do a cam job,and upgrade to explorer heads or similair not too expensive domes.any comments,ideas,and suggestions would be appreciated.:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

raiderjoe1 said:
does anyone know if the heads on these suv's are the same as the explorer heads that peop's put their 5.0's?i have an 88 gt 5.0 with 80,000+miles on it.minor mods:rebuilt stock heads,93cobra u/l intake w/65mm t.b.,mac cai,steeda pulleys&smog p elim.,shortys,o/r h,flowmaster 40's dumped.bbk strut bar,eibach springs,sensatrac shocks,stock struts.later i want to do a cam job,and upgrade to explorer heads or similair not too expensive domes.any comments,ideas,and suggestions would be appreciated.:SNSign:

look by the lower bolt holes , they should say GT in large letters next to the far front passenger side head bolt , or have GTP listed in smaller letters ....they should be the same as the explorers

What year Mountaineer? The 96 and early 97 V8 models came with GT40s (the same as on the 93 Cobra). Mid '97 ford swapped to the GT40p models, just like the did on the V8 explorers.

the trick flow kit, ford motersport sells a set, and I think crower has a single spring set that will work too. You can always get stock replacments from sealed power, but then your still stuck with those exaust rotators