• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

mountaineer oil pan q's.

  • Thread starter Thread starter millhouse
  • Start date Start date Sep 25, 2004

millhouse

Founding Member
May 14, 2002
1,985
0
46
Simpsonville, SC
Sep 25, 2004
#1
  • Sep 25, 2004
  • #1
Well, I found a decent deal on a 98 mountaineer long block (including intake) with 38k miles for $500 .

Anyways, I'll be pulling the stock intake off for my eddy performer. The swap seems pretty simple...but I have a question about the oil pan.

Are clearance issues the only reason to swap my double hump pan with the stock mountaineer? Are there any other benifits?

The mountaineer pan is in much better condition than my stocker unit. I have a tubular k-member, so I'm thinking it my be possible to keep the current pan on the engine. Less part to buy for the oil pan means more parts to buy for the engine performance.
 

Michael Yount

Mustang Master
Apr 10, 2002
9,039
6
79
Charlotte, NC
Sep 25, 2004
#2
  • Sep 25, 2004
  • #2
Pull the Mountaineer pan and check - you're probably going to have to use the pump and/or pickup tube off of your old block. I don't think the pickup tube on the Mountaineer will work with the double-hump pan off the Stang application; and the Mountaineer pan won't clear the crossmember. Also - be careful if you want to preserve the Mountaineer pan - they're cast and quite fragile. If you set the motor down on it (off the cherry picker) they're pretty easy to break.
 

millhouse

Founding Member
May 14, 2002
1,985
0
46
Simpsonville, SC
Sep 25, 2004
#3
  • Sep 25, 2004
  • #3
Michael Yount said:
Pull the Mountaineer pan and check - you're probably going to have to use the pump and/or pickup tube off of your old block. I don't think the pickup tube on the Mountaineer will work with the double-hump pan off the Stang application; and the Mountaineer pan won't clear the crossmember. Also - be careful if you want to preserve the Mountaineer pan - they're cast and quite fragile. If you set the motor down on it (off the cherry picker) they're pretty easy to break.
Click to expand...


The only reason I think it might work is due to my aje tubular k-member. I'll just have to do some measureing I guess. I would prefer not to pull the pan off. It's just one more thing that I have to buy (new gasket), and is a pain swapping pans.

As far as the pan construction goes though...it definatley does not appear to be cast. It is painted black and looks to be stamped steel.
 

millhouse

Founding Member
May 14, 2002
1,985
0
46
Simpsonville, SC
Sep 27, 2004
#4
  • Sep 27, 2004
  • #4
TTT

I need to know if the oil pump will work from the mountaineer. I wont be using my old one due to the high mileage.
 

NKau

Founding Member
Dec 15, 2001
1,346
0
37
Jefferson, WI
Sep 27, 2004
#5
  • Sep 27, 2004
  • #5
Assuming you will be using the same motor mounts (motor will sit at the same height) I'd measure the depth/length of the oil pan at critical areas and see how it compares to the stocker; should be able to figure out whether or not it will clear your k-member. Make sure the pan drain plug won't be getting blocked by anything either I'm assuming those mountaineers are rear sump?
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

9
Forced Induction Prepping for supercharger on non-stock build
  • 91fox427
  • Nov 25, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
494
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 5, 2026
Qtrhrse23
C
SN95 Another Coyote swap list
  • catkiller
  • May 10, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
280
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 8, 2026
bjornsn95
B
6
Hey all,I’m putting together a 302 for my 1968 Mustang and wanted to post the combo + some questions to make sure I’m not missing crucial
  • 68_Disgustang
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
gray owl
G
F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
284
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
Might have to get a Dart block but don't want to and if I do, then 363 instead of 331. Thoughts on what I've already bought so far.......
  • from6to8
  • Jul 8, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
52
Views
3K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 9, 2025
from6to8
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?