Mpg/performance Mods? ‘98 V6 Auto

abessey226

Feb 12, 2018
Looking for ways to get more performance and/or mpg, I’ll take either.

Current setup: 1998 V6 Automatic base model. 146,000 miles. 19 city/ 21 highway.

Current mods: SR Performance CAI, throttle cable zip tie mod.

Planned mods: High flow X-pipe exhaust, low resistance front tires.

What else can I do for MPG or performance? Don’t need to hear “dump the spare tire, accelerate slower, etc.” Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

There was a chap that raced a 95 3.8 here at the local track many years ago. He had a built bottom end, ported stock heads, a custom cam, and a huge turbo. It was fairly fast. He spent a fortune on it though. How much power are you looking for?

There was a chap that raced a 95 3.8 here at the local track many years ago. He had a built bottom end, ported stock heads, a custom cam, and a huge turbo. It was fairly fast. He spent a fortune on it though. How much power are you looking for?
Don’t want to mess with the block itself too much. Looking more for bolt-ons, or tweaks I can make/add to the setup

You only get 21 MPG with the V6? I can pull 26MPG in my '02 GT.

V6 is notorious for bad fuel economy. Shouldn't be that bad but the main gripe about those years was that it was equal to or not much better than same model GT. I used to get 26-27mpg highway as well in my 03 GT

OP, how many practical years do you foresee spending in this car? Doesn't make much sense to spend a lot of money when it will take you 5-8 years to recoup the money you spent in the gas mileage youbgained.

You should be doing much better than 21mpg highway, so step one is to make sure car is in optimal tune. That means plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc.

Your driving style also plays a role here.

V6 is notorious for bad fuel economy. Shouldn't be that bad but the main gripe about those years was that it was equal to or not much better than same model GT. I used to get 26-27mpg highway as well in my 03 GT

OP, how many practical years do you foresee spending in this car? Doesn't make much sense to spend a lot of money when it will take you 5-8 years to recoup the money you spent in the gas mileage youbgained.

You should be doing much better than 21mpg highway, so step one is to make sure car is in optimal tune. That means plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc.

Your driving style also plays a role here.
I plan on having it for a while. I don’t intend to reclaim what I put in, just want it to be easier on the wallet where possible. The fuel filter is only a few months old. Previous owner said he changed plugs, wires, etc just before I bought it but he said he did a lot of things that he clearly didn’t so I’ll look into those. I also bought it for $1250 so I have some wiggle room into how much I throw at it