MSD coil bad? Or does it ground through Mount?

rdharper02

like kicking myself in the junk
10 Year Member
May 8, 2006
O.k., many of you have read my numerous post about my 3g upgrade and my surging problem. Well I installed my MSD coil at the same time. Today I switched to the factory and my warm idle surge damn near went away. (slight surge as before, doesnt read on tach) My question is this: Does the coil mounting bracket serve as a ground for the coil (I painted mine do to rust) or is my MSD bad? When I reinstalled my factory coil I laid it acrossed the master cylinder and the coil bracket (it should see some ground here). :shrug:

Did find out that the GT has a catted H pipe. He!! maybe its factory...dont know.

• Sponsors (?)

If there are 4 cats on the H pipe then its probably the stocker.

As far as the coil goes. I would remove some of the paint where the coil mounts to the bracket to make sure that you have a good connection from the coil to the bracket and see if that helps fix it. If that doesn't then I would put the stock coil back on and bolt it all back up the same way as your MSD is set up. If that fixes it then I would vote for bad coil.

O.k. I replaced the msd withthe stock coil after noticing that the stocker has a thin metal layer around the mount (bright contact area). I did this bu disconnecting the msd and laying the stock coil across the master cylinder and the mounting bracket. I made sure it would ground. The car ran like it did prior to the install. I removed the coil bracket and cleaned the bolting surfaces (sandpaper to all screw holes). I made sure that all these areas where free of paint. When I remounted the msd she fired and ran like a champ. Even let it run for about 15 minutes. No noticeable surging.

I think your right on the H pipe. It gets removed anyway.