Exhaust Muffler advice

JJT81pit

Jul 6, 2019
Getzville
I have a 92 lx fully stock exhaust and I want to switch out just the mufflers and leave everything else stock. I purchased 2 1/4 inch original 40 series flowmaster mufflers to replace. Should I purchase new flow tubes or can I cut and use originals. Mufflers are much shorter than stock so I’m worried about not have enough to connect. I Pretty much need help with exactly I need to purchase to do this project. Thkx for the help. I’m hoping I can just cut mufflers off and and use exhaust clamps to put new ones on but there also isn’t a hanger on the new muffler. Appreciate the help

• Sponsors (?)

My advice would be to take the car and your mufflers to a muffler shop and have them welded on, they can add the length and the hangers needed, weld the system up nice an straight.
unless you have the lift and welding equipment it is a pain to do laying on your back and using clamps is so 80's, they do make nice pipe clamps now but you still have the hanger issue and you need that because of the weight of the mufflers.
JMO

Reactions: 1 user
You kinda already answered your own question. Mufflers are shorter than stock and if you clamp, you'll need to overlap pipe to have enough material to clamp to

Not worth the effort.
Buy a 2.5 inch catback and you can bolt it all on and adjust it accordingly (forever).
If a shop welds those mufflers in and anything hits the gas tank, frame rails etc. you are going back and they are going to keep butchering it.
The bolt in kit will eliminate the need for a muffler shop, which will probably bang you $100 a muffler in today's market.

I suggested the muffler shop because we have a shop here that does superb work and it is not that expensive.
yes you can do the cat back systems with band clamps and the work out good too. If you already have the mufflers just take it to a shop and add them on,

In a world full of Fb market places -CList and even eBays. Full exhaust systems can be had for cheap. Over the course of a week I acquired a nice set off Bbk shorties - Pypes X pipe with new O2sensors and band clamps from the market place. From eBay I bought new flow tubes and a pair of two chamber mufflers, all to the sum of maybe $200 bucks :shrug:

I suggested the muffler shop because we have a shop here that does superb work and it is not that expensive.
yes you can do the cat back systems with band clamps and the work out good too. If you already have the mufflers just take it to a shop and add them on,

I know what you mean, it's just i'm one of those guys that believes things should come apart without a professional if need be.
My entire dynomax 2.5 ultraflo catback i got on sale for $259. The extra .25 inch in pipe size doesn't hurt either.
At that price, i see no point in making any effort to fit generic parts.

I have a 92 lx fully stock exhaust and I want to switch out just the mufflers and leave everything else stock. I purchased 2 1/4 inch original 40 series flowmaster mufflers to replace. Should I purchase new flow tubes or can I cut and use originals. Mufflers are much shorter than stock so I’m worried about not have enough to connect. I Pretty much need help with exactly I need to purchase to do this project. Thkx for the help. I’m hoping I can just cut mufflers off and and use exhaust clamps to put new ones on but there also isn’t a hanger on the new muffler. Appreciate the help
Ok, back to your actual question, yes, buy the flow tubes, get under the car and compare the length with the flow tubes attached to your new mufflers to see if you have enough without adding pipe. Get the band style clamps, they don't crush the pipes.

I had some Dynomax mufflers put in last year. The shop did exactly what Karthief is describing. I bought the mufflers with no hangers. The shop welded a hanger on each muffler (must have), cut the old mufflers out with a sawsall, and welded the new ones in place. $40 total. I can do all that myself but I do not have a lift and for $40 I'd be stupid to fool with it. That included the hangers btw.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the proposals above but have been partial to MAC exhaust products since the mid 90's when I outfitted my '83 single exhaust 5.0 with MAC headers, 2.5" cat's and full catback system with Dynomax Turbo muffler's. Back then U bolt clamps were provided which limited flexibility to adjust and swap out components. I loved that exhaust but was never fond of the fitment as it was designed for '86 and above. Over the axle was very tight especially on the passenger side with brake lines and such. I recently upgraded from headers back with MAC 2.5" X pipe, flow path mufflers, over the axle pipes and 3" chrome tips. Muffler flow tubes are welded and over the axle connects with clamps. I used Walker 1" band clamps which worked well. All other joints are ball and socket which allow for adjustment and quick removal. The flow path mufflers are about an inch smaller in all dimensions than the Dynomax Turbo's I had before. With the adjustable tips, I can make both sides symmetrical and it looks and sounds great. I was able to install the entire system with front tires on 8" ramps and back axle supported with jack stands. Of course having a low profile creeper at my age is mandatory. Downside is the MAC stuff is probably pricier than some will want to pay.

Attachments

• 20190626_164348.jpg
    20190626_164348.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 20190626_164028.jpg
    20190626_164028.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: 1 users