Muffler??

Origommi said:
I am looking to get a little better sound from my 96 GT, but do not have the $ to get a full cat back hook up. I do however have enough for two mufflers. How good will it sound if I just keep the standard cat back and install two flowmasters mufflers. Any suggestions for a noob? Thanks all.

I totally recommend against getting any mufflers clamped or welded into your stock catback unless you can get the labor done for free (meaning you weld them or clamp them into the stock system or have a friend who can do it for you for free.) Why? Because for another $150-$200 you can get an entire catback and install it yourself in your garage or driveway. Think about it . . . $150 for the mufflers, then another $50-$100 to install them properly. . . you're up around $225-250. Might as well spend another $150 and get the American Thunder complete catback system. Plus, you'll get full mandrel bent 2.5" pipes all the way through. Trust me, I got just flows put into the stock system and while the sound is killer, I'm already replacing them with a full stainless steel catback system with nice 3.5" tailpipes. BTW, I just ordered MRT's Max Thunder 409 SS kit - the mufflers are stainless-steel near-copies of FM's 2-chamber deltaflows.

Good luck whatever you decide on, but if it were me I'd hold out until you can get the full deal!

• Sponsors (?)

^True...Though I may be getting some flows this summer and have them welded in for a few reasons. I will be finishing my first year of college next month and am on a limited budget (poor college kid right now), I will be doing some work this summer to earn some money. Another reason is that I plan on getting Original 40's and you can't buy a new Flowmaster catback system with them. I can buy the two original 40 mufflers for about $110, I might be able to save a little money on welding through someone I know that owns a shop, so a little under $200 total. This happens to be a better option for me in my situation.