Muscle Car TV wet media blasting

deadonarrival

Dec 5, 2003
AZ
I caught an episode of this show over the weekend and they were using a power washer with an attachment to wet media blast a frame. I was wondering if anyone had tried this for the undercarriage and engine compartment. I did a search but did not find anything. On line searches turned up a cost of $75.00 to $100.00 for the attachment for the power washer.

• Sponsors (?)

I was wondering if anyone had tried this for the undercarriage and engine compartment. I did a search but did not find anything. On line searches turned up a cost of $75.00 to $100.00 for the attachment for the power washer.

That would be great if it were effective. I'd be curious to know, as well. Also, how much pressure would be needed for it to be effective?

That would be great if it were effective. I'd be curious to know, as well. Also, how much pressure would be needed for it to be effective?

the amount of pressure depends on what media you are going to use. a more aggressive media can use less pressure and still remain effective. that said a pressure washer has plenty of pressure for most media's.

this would be great for other parts like rearend housings and leaf springs, wheels etc. anything to big to do in small or medium sized blast cabinet or if you don't want to send it out to have it done. it seems like it would also be easier to recycle the media as well, just sweep into a pile and put it in a bucket with some realy small holes drilled in it to let the water drain.

blast

can you point me in the direction of the attachments you found?

I caught an episode of this show over the weekend and they were using a power washer with an attachment to wet media blast a frame. I was wondering if anyone had tried this for the undercarriage and engine compartment. I did a search but did not find anything. On line searches turned up a cost of $75.00 to $100.00 for the attachment for the power washer.

I saw this too, one bad thing would be the instant surface rust you'd get that you'll have to contend with. That being said, I like the idea, but I think they said you couldn't use it on the body, I'm not sure, my DVR cut it off in the middle of that sentence and started recording whatever came on after that, I missed a few seconds. The water should prevent the normal buildup of heat associated with traditional sand blasting.....

I saw this too, one bad thing would be the instant surface rust you'd get that you'll have to contend with. That being said, I like the idea, but I think they said you couldn't use it on the body, I'm not sure, my DVR cut it off in the middle of that sentence and started recording whatever came on after that, I missed a few seconds. The water should prevent the normal buildup of heat associated with traditional sand blasting.....

At the end of the program he said that you couldn't use this technique on body panels. I thought it was interesting as well.