Mustang '04 Conv - Mach460 Premium Sound Head Unit replacement

rosenbj

Mar 24, 2008
I have been researching the ability to replace my head unit with an aftermarket head unit in my 2004 Ford Mustang convertible (Mach460 Premium sound).

Some posts suggest there is an issue using the existing amps (2 additional amps) even with the Metra 70-5521 harness. The head unit I am interested in (Dual XHD6425) comes with pre-amp outputs (RCA plug).

I realize that I will need to purchase low-pass crossovers for the subs and bass blockers for the tweeters to prevent speaker damage since the head unit does not have a high pass or low pass crossover built in.

Question:

Will the Metra 70-5521 harness work with my existing amps and speakers. I only want to replace the head unit but don't want to have to replace all the speakers and no longer use the built in amps that power the subs.

Thanks in advance for any advice....

Regards,
Jeff

• Sponsors (?)

hey there jeff,

when you use a harness it will use the amps. that means that it will already separate the tweeters and the subs. If you bypass the factory amps you will have to use a x-over. or just use a head unit that has one. and since yours doesnt you may need some. if you can, get some component speakers. that way you can separate your highs from your lows, a perfect upgrade for a mustang.

I have used the 70-5521 harness for the 2004 mach system, and there is no need for low pass x/o for the "subs", because they aren't actually subs. They work/sound fine playing full range. You will need to use bass blockers on the main harness for the tweeters as the factory radio has them built in for the tweeters. You will also need to install a 1000-1500 ohm resistor on the remote turn on leads on the smaller harness to prevent the 5x7"/6.5" speakers from popping when you turn the radio on. On a side note, I assume the reason that you are planning on using the Dual deck is because of the built in HD radio and/or the USB input? I work at a shop that sells them and although they are rather inexpensive, the product line lacks the quality of even the lower priced models of the "name brands" such as Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood etc. If you want a deck that is low priced and has a built in HD tuner the JVC KD-HDR30 is a much better unit IMO. Just my .02 cents.