Electrical Mustang 85 gt, no power to coil

Mmtt

Sep 24, 2019
Az
Im running an msd ignition 6al module, with msd coil. I have no power in what the coil used to connect to, ( red and green) and ( dark green with yellow spots) i checked for voltage and only the positive side of the coil had voltage ( red and green) however the negative side has none, how do i fix this?

• Sponsors (?)

Quick and dirty answer - ditch the MSD box and coil. Why? They have the highest failure rate of anything here on Stangnet. If you have 12 volts on the red/green wire going to the coil, then with a stock ignition, you would have the voltage needed to make the ignition work.

Duraspark II ignition diagram:

duraspark-wiring.gif

Plan "B" if you don't have the Duraspark box still around.
heidiagram-for-ignition-coil-distributor-wiring-di.gif

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I would if i had the money, i believe the negative triggers the msd ignition box, which is why the coil has no power. However cant seem to find why
You may not be getting a pulse from the distributor. What do you have for tools like a noid light, voltmeter or spare distributor?

The GM HEI module is less than $25 at any of the major auto parts stores. It might be your best bet. Or you can go to the junkyard and get one for less than $10, then take it to one of the larger auto parts stores and have them check it for you.

Last edited:
I have a noid light where do i check the wiring? , and ill look into the gm hei module
Use the noid light across the purple and orange wires on the distributor. You'll need to turn the ignition on and crank the engine. You may find a helper useful at this time.

Hi,
Does anyone know why my 95 mustang gt keeps turning off, it cranks but doesn't start? I had replaced the spark plugs, wires for sparkplug, distributor cap and it happened after all replaced. Few hours later it starts but then keeps stopping about after 30 min.

Thanks everyone.

Hi,
Does anyone know why my 95 mustang gt keeps turning off, it cranks but doesn't start? I had replaced the spark plugs, wires for sparkplug, distributor cap and it happened after all replaced. Few hours later it starts but then keeps stopping about after 30 min.

Thanks everyone.
My Mechanic checked and he is saying the coil don't get power once the engine is heats up.

J, I really like the HEI module idea For cost and availability..
It must be mounted on a metal heat sink surface with the paste, and buy two good ones, keeping one in the car as a back up. It’s not just the Ford modules that are subject to bad copies. We had a whole box of the Hencho in Mexico AC Delco ones that were defective at Autoworks.

Quick and dirty answer - ditch the MSD box and coil. Why? They have the highest failure rate of anything here on Stangnet. If you have 12 volts on the red/green wire going to the coil, then with a stock ignition, you would have the voltage needed to make the ignition work.

Duraspark II ignition diagram:

duraspark-wiring.gif

Plan "B" if you don't have the Duraspark box still around.
heidiagram-for-ignition-coil-distributor-wiring-di.gif