Mustang beginner with simple questions

MustangSting

May 10, 2008
I am new to this forum and I do not own a Mustang....Yet.
Can someone please explain the differences between a Mustang GT and a Cobra? Also, please explain what the SVT and Shelby are. Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

Can someone please explain the differences between a Mustang GT and a Cobra? Also, please explain what the SVT and Shelby are. Thank you.

Ok to start off... SVT = Special Vehicle Team. All fords performance parts go through this "department".

In the "new edge" stangs. 99-04 The GTs came with a 2 valve per cylinder 4.6 V8. There are 2 different kinds of "new edge" cobras. The 99-01 and then the '03-'04 (AKA The Terminator). The 99-01 cobra came with a 4 valve per cylinder 4.6l V8. The Termi cobras had the same engine as before basicly cept with an eaton super charger on it. It was at that time the most powerful mustang ever built. In '03 the Mach 1 made a come back too. It was basicly a go between of the Termi and the GT. It had the 4V 4.6 cept no super charger. It made 305 HP stock while the force fed cobra was rated at 390 hp.

On to the s197 stang.
The '05 and up GTs come with a 3V 4.6l rated at 300 horses. The new Shelby.... WOW! Carrol Shelby started his carreer with ford mo co back in the 60s. He made it big by making the 67 (I think) Shelby GT 350 and the GT 500 (AKA Elenor from Gone in 60 seconds) After he left ford he went on to manufacture his own autos like the shelby cobra roadsters and so forth. Very expensive cars! A few years ago I read he was to announce his retirement and he wanted to end his career where it started.... At ford with the mustang. There was a lil bit of bickering between Shelby and SVT (which Shelby basicly FOUNDED) about which "lable" would be the KING of stangs. I guess the ford brass steped in and said give it both lables Shelby AND SVT.

So now ya got this bad ass new "SHELBY" lable out there. There are 3 of em now I think. There is the Shelby GT which is a basic GT stang with a shelby package and its got like 340 horses I think. Then there is the GT 500 with a super charged 3V 5.4l making 500 horses stock. Bad ass car in my book. Then the recently released the GT 500 KR (King of the Road). The KR adds better suspention and I THINK 640 HP not sure there.

Ok I hope I was accurate with my Mustang history. If im not then correct me. I dont mind being wrong. I hope I helped ya out man GL in choosing a stang.

Cliff Note: If I were looking to buy a stang right now I would be looking at either the Machs or the Termi cobra. Them engines are EXCELLENT platforms to moddify on. Much better than the 2V GT

Other differences between the new edge GT and the Termi....

Terminator
Forged engine internals capable of up to 7 to 800 HP. May be more but havnt seen any Cobra guys taking it that far.
Tremec T56 = A near bullet proof 6 speed tranny
Unique body panels = side skirts, hood, bumper, rear spoiler
IRS = Independant Rear Suspension... its not graeat on the track but for ride and handling its the ****z-nit!

A basic new edge GT has that 2V 4.6 w/o forged engine. The GT can only handle around 400 HP safely. Yes its true that alot of peeps run upwards of 450 HP on a stock block and internals and do really well with it. It really just depends on how good your tuner is... which SOME tuners know about the GT weakness and wont tune one too far past that magical 400 HP number.

just to answer your questions further.

The GT is the base model V8 Mustang, below that is the V6 models. Above the GT is the Cobra Mustangs which are limited in production, come with build numbers and with more power than the GT. The Cobra is not made every model year unlike the GT. There are years skipped where there is no Cobra. There is currently now 2008 Mustang Cobra. The Shelby and other speciality Mustangs have stepped up to the plate to fill the void.

Such as in 94/95 both the GT and the Cobra came with the 5.0 302 motor but the Cobra had better heads, better cam and intake hence it made more power then the base GT.

the 2008 bullitt is basically a gt with some upgrades..it has a cold air intake sport tuned suspension 3.73's and short shift kit in it...they are making 5500 of them for 2008 and 2009 they will make the other 2200 for a total of 7700. its a pretty nice car in my eyes... i may be buyist i own one..they are a bit pricey but its a nastalgia thing....also they only come in two colors dark highland green and black THATS IT!!

off topic tho i could some help from anyone that knows a thing or two about 95 cobra's im trying to get a good setup to make 400-450 hp for under or around $3000 any hel would be great just send me message.

Good luck to you MustangSting in your decision