mustang design engineers didn't think winter?

rickman

Apr 3, 2005
des moines
What are we all gonna do when our fancy drop down windows are frozen in place from an overnight snowstorm, or even a quick ice storm, and we need to get inside these fine rides? Those windows are not gonna drop till we've chissled 4ever on that lower channel, and I hate doing that. :bang:
It may not be bad for those of us lucky enough to afford a garage, but we still prolly have to park outside at our workplaces, or those who can remote start their automatics (don't know of a remote system for us 5 speed owners) to warm up the inside, but I can't afford a winter car/truck and if I could I would still rather be in the stang :shrug:
any thoughts about how this "problem" can be addressed?

• Sponsors (?)

You have a very good point. This is the one major flaw I saw when I first looked at the new 05 mustang. It is really a pointless add-on and is going to cause some MAJOR trouble I can tell; just wait for next winter when there'll be a lot on the road. Everyones going to be complaining.

I wonder if theres a way to disable it AND if the door will still seal without it?

i went through a winter of it here in NY, no problems.... i would suggest in investing in a car cover, anything to block the snow/ice getting onto the window so the only problem is the cold, not something else keeping it frozen shut... it can get pretty bad here and nothing ever happened, the real problem is all that power in the rear wheels, spinning and fish tailing all over =)

jmk97GT said:
You have a very good point. This is the one major flaw I saw when I first looked at the new 05 mustang. It is really a pointless add-on and is going to cause some MAJOR trouble I can tell; just wait for next winter when there'll be a lot on the road. Everyones going to be complaining.

I wonder if theres a way to disable it AND if the door will still seal without it?
I had my battery disconnected last week and the auto down feature got hosed. before I reset it I tested your theory. the feature has to be on to get the window up and sealed, and the door doesnt wanna open if the window isn't down like normal, so that wont work.
the good thing is a couple of owners have said it wasn't a problem...so let's think positive. K? :cheers:

A number of BMWs have had the auto-drop windows. Built for/in Germany you would think somebody would have heard of problems before. The drop down is not anywhere close to a new idea.

i agree the drop down windows have been around for a long time....it was first used on high end autos, and is finally filtering down the food chain. mercedes has them. they seal the glass better on frameless doors. ever notice how much quieter it is than previous cars? even the PT Cruiser has them on the convertible to quiet down the wind noise. i can see your point about the ice build up on the glass, my only suggestion is to buy a car cover for it, but then where are you gonna put the cover when you take it off? in the trunk? when the car gets warm enough, it will start to melt all that snow and ice and drip inside of the trunk, then you will have water damage to the floor cover and water buildup in the spare tire hole......plus when you get it out again, it will freeze when it hits the freezing temps outside....

rickman said:
What are we all gonna do when our fancy drop down windows are frozen in place from an overnight snowstorm, or even a quick ice storm, and we need to get inside these fine rides? Those windows are not gonna drop till we've chissled 4ever on that lower channel, and I hate doing that. :bang:
It may not be bad for those of us lucky enough to afford a garage, but we still prolly have to park outside at our workplaces, or those who can remote start their automatics (don't know of a remote system for us 5 speed owners) to warm up the inside, but I can't afford a winter car/truck and if I could I would still rather be in the stang :shrug:
any thoughts about how this "problem" can be addressed?

I have a remote start in my '90 GT 5-speed. It is a Clifford Avant-Guard 4. Not sure on the spelling. They now produce an AG5 which from what I hear is not as good (adaptability / installation ease / etc) as the AG4. I got mine from Magnolial Hi-Fi a couple of years ago. Pretty pricey, but worth every penny.
Just thought you might want to know.
Jason