mustang revs high after i installed long tubes

vzmaradona

Mar 28, 2009
ok i installed long tube headers withoff road h pipe on my 1991 gt but when i drove my car i notestthe roms go up to 2000 when im at a commplete stop ive sprayed throttle body cleaner and cant find nothing, any ideas of what it could be also i took off the hose that connect to my smog pump and pluged my heads also my timing its at 14 degrees i believe and i dont have my o2 sensors on yet , any ideas , please i need help im desperate to fis my car already

• Sponsors (?)

You could have issues from running with out O2 sensors. When does things go bad I know that causes a variety of problems not to mention excess fuel consumption it will cause. That is where I would start though being that you are running with none.

See the "Surging Idle Checklist for help with all your idle/stall problems. Everything you need to find and fix idle problems is in there.

The first two posts contain all the updates to the fixes. At last count there were 24 possible causes and fixes for surging idle/stall problems. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions.

The high idle suggests to me that there's a vacuum leak. Might wanna check all the vacuum hoses. The old plastic ones crack and break very easily so you might have accidentally broken one when you were installing the headers. If you didn't plug the vacuum hose to the smog pump that could be your problem.