My 67 project

hungrymonkey

White by Birth, Trash By Choice
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Oregon.
I am about to start a resto (again) on my 67 coupe. Figured I'd start a thread to hold me accountable to make progress :D

A little background first. Since we have a lot of new members, and I have not posted in years.

I bought the car in 2002 when i was still in the service. I got out of the service in 2003. Was towing it back home when my tow vehicle developed a bit of a hole in the block. Luckily the mustang had a freshly built 351w (same engine as the truck I was towing with)
Did a quick parking lot engine swap (heavy sarcasm about quick).
Completed my trip from New Mexico to Oregon.
Unfortunately that was the last time a running engine has been in my mustang.

I spent the next 15 years going to school, raising kids (twins slow projects down btw), and starting a career. I spent way too long in rentals with small garages, then buying a house with a garage that was slightly bigger but not large enough.
Fast forward to the end of last year. I was blessed enough to talk my wife into buying a house with a shop the size of my last house.

I have finally reached equilibrium with child rearing, career, and hobbies. (Only took 15 years)

So here is my project.

I rebuilt the front and back suspension in 2002. Did a shelby drop, granada brake swap.
I also por 15'd the underside and engine bay.
The por 15 held up very well, except for the interior.floor pans. It flaked and I had to strip it down.

The car sat uncovered for 2 years while we had our last house on and off the market to sell. Where it managed to grow some moss and gain some wasps.
Considering it sat for so long, it's in remarkable good shape.

For the tldr crowd. Projects sometimes take a long time. Here are some pics
20180504_232548.jpg
20180504_232557.jpg
20180504_232609.jpg
20180504_232643.jpg
20180504_232643.jpg
20180504_232658.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Not sure how I am double posting pics.

Anyways. I know for a fact that I will need to replace the front floor pans. One was a bit soft about 10 years ago.
I will also have to paint and repair some sheet metal. Not sure to what extent yet

Luckily I have my own paint booth now.
I spent the day working on installing the air compressor. Luckily the previous owner poured a pad for one behind the shop. Unfortunately he did a poop job at building a lean to over it.

I tore off the lean to this afternoon and will hopefully have it installed this weekend.

I will be running an IR 2340 in conjunction with an 80 gallon separate tank.
I ordered 3/4" air lines.

This should exceed most of my air needs :D

I am still buttoning up a few projects on the shop before I Rip the car apart.

So far, getting air installed and getting organized are the priority.

Reactions: 1 user
Well you caught up to me and I hit 65 this year. I'm on my "LAST" distraction project and will start my '66 F100 shortly. Good Luck with the resto, what is the current blueprint looking like??

Haven't decided yet. One of my boys wants to help. So we need to sit down and figure out what we are shooting for.

I think a good start will be to get it stripped down and get the paint off to see what we are working with.

My middle son has the '67 coupe that my brother bought from Aero on here 10 years ago. I've been trying to talk him into cutting the top off and making a 2 seat roadster with flared fenders out of it. But he's a bit hesitant to say the least.:) Maybe a 427 windsor and a 4 speed.:O_o:

It's great to see you still have it!
I've been dragging my feet too, but after all these years, my '65 project is finally on the rotisserie!

Attachments

• 31391219_798842420319953_5932148484944691200_n.jpg
    31391219_798842420319953_5932148484944691200_n.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 122
This is like the old-timer's thread!

Before I forget to ask...WTF is the green gunk on the LH tail light? Looks like the Grinch was...err...well...never mind.

I remember your '67, and shudder at the mere thought of a parking lot engine swap. My project car is in the final stages, maybe only another year of weekends and I'll run out of things to work on. Yeah right, we all know better. But I can say that after retiring my '67 from daily-driving duty a full 26 years have elapsed! The biggest news was last fall when it got home after spending 6 months in the body shop getting rust and PO damage repaired, the paint only took a week or two. Here's a link to that blessed event: https://wordpress.com/post/sylvia1967blog.wordpress.com/1216

It sat untouched for almost 10 years, then I had a big flurry of parts buying and work from ~2003-2008 when I got old and lost motivation. Lower back pain and failing eyesight make working on and under a car a real sucky thing. I've overcome the back pain thanks to lifestyle improvements, nothing sexy about suferring an "injury" due to lethargic lifestyle now is there? I cannot exercise away the failing eyesight, but with a headlamp and readers I can actually see pretty well, plus my eldest son is a professional mechanic now (Honda/Toyota/Lexus/Acura dealerships) and he's been an immense help, particularly with electrics which have been a problem for me since day one.

TLDR
Good to see all the old guys here, glad to know you still have the old cars, nothing wrong with taking time off (even years), just keep doing little bits and IT WILL GET DONE.

Ya, I share your eyes, I just bought about 20 LED shop lights and installed them. It's like sunshine out there now, made a huge difference. And I beat myself up for the past 2 months and dropped 30 lbs. That should help a bit too.:)

Get that car done! LOL
I've had my 67 since about 2003. It's been sitting in my garage for the last 5 years. I finally restored the WHOLE front suspension and almost have it back on the road.
BTW - I envy the size of your garage! LOL