my 79 stang needs 302 swap any help out there?

CHUCH 79

May 24, 2005
Edmonton
hey there im new to the ford crowd and i just got a 79 stang with ciesed 3.8 litre. i got a 83 couger with 3.8 litre so a quick change will get it runnin. i have a 302-c4 for it but need mounts, k-member, and everything else? what else do i need. it's a carb'd motor.

What's up to matt,dan and the crew at mustang shop. i heard that 86 rs twin turbo is done but problems occur.

i'm lookin for any free or dirt cheap(i mean cheap)parts for the swap or anything else like gt spoiler, 85-86 front bumper(with fog lights), 87 up rear seat plastic(with 5 by 7 speakers), hood, etc.

watch for pics soon. feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]. PEACE OUT

• Sponsors (?)

As far as I know, they didn't put 3.8's in Mustangs until 1983 so if your 1979 has one someone must have swapped it in.If that is the case you might have to find what the original motor was to figure out what k-member you have now as cars equipped with 2.3's and 302's used one k-member and the cars with the 200 straight 6's used another.The swap can be done fairly cheap using junkyard parts.V-8 Mustangs aren't that common at the wreckers but Fairmonts and Zephyrs with 302's can sometimes be found and they share the same mechanicals as a Mustang.As long as you have the 4 cyl/302 k-member all you have to do is grab the fox style oil pan,pick-up, dipstick,mounts,rad and rad hoses from a V-8 Fairmont and it will bolt into the Mustang.3.8's have the same bellhousing pattern as a 302 so in theory you can use the transmission you have now as long as you have the correct flexplate with the 302 balance,the right size for the bellhousing and the right bolt pattern for the converter.If your car originally was a 302 car that someone swapped a 3.8 into then it could possibly still have the 302 transmission which would make things easier.Your car should have a Duraspark distributor now so you can plug a 302 Duraspark distributor into the existing module and use that.

Here's my take;

Dont mac-up your 79 with a bunch of later-years parts. A very clean 79 with all its original parts done up NICELY will be a nice head turner. I have been looking for a nice unmolested 85 GT for years now and its VERY VERY frustrating to go out to see a car that has had a 87+ GT body kit/windows/seats added, etc.

Restore what you have; www.50resto.com can source you alot of interior/exterior parts, and do the rest yourself.

calgarycobra said:
Here's my take;

Dont mac-up your 79 with a bunch of later-years parts. A very clean 79 with all its original parts done up NICELY will be a nice head turner. I have been looking for a nice unmolested 85 GT for years now and its VERY VERY frustrating to go out to see a car that has had a 87+ GT body kit/windows/seats added, etc.

Restore what you have; www.50resto.com can source you alot of interior/exterior parts, and do the rest yourself.

A friend of mine is selling his 85 gt t-top car... it's in primer and has shaved door handles.

Thanks 4 replys. here's the scoop it's last reg. as 83,door has 11/80 so 81 but obviously door is diff. diff. vin#. has 79-82 front bumper,has v-6 I dont know the size but looks identical to 3.8 in my cougar. it,s a gl model if that helps.