my brother just bought a 88 vert couple of questions

robbo1987*2.3*

Founding Member
Apr 22, 2002
varina, va
well my lil bro just bought an 88 gt 5spd vert im a 2.3 turbo guy and dont know much about the 5.0:stupid::nonono:. I can work on it:D but as far as where to start with performance stuff i dont know just looking for some recomendations its a stock motor with an intake already on it. its white with a white top with the crome 93 cobra rims ill try an get some pics of it.

• Sponsors (?)

It depends on how much money and hp you are looking for. First do you know if it speed density on MAF. The 88's from cali came with MAF all the other ones didn't. If its speed density you are going to want to change it to MAF, (makes it easier to add hp). Mine is an lx and right now I am in the process of putting heads and an intake on mine. Heads really start to eat into the wallet so you might want to start with headers, underdrive pulleys, rear end gears, electric fan, electrical water pump. Could also upgrade spark plugs, plug wires, distributor.

Follow the link posted by HISSIN50. It goes to the junkyard performance parts sticky, which has some really good low cost ideas.

I wouldn't worry about converting to mass air just yet.. speed density is fine for most everything except when you exceed the stock injectors (300hp) and have to upgrade or if you plan on running a cam that really changes the engine vacuum but there are decent cams that are speed density friendly out there just do a search and you'll see.

I'd invest in some headers, xpipe and mufflers.. then look to the rear gears and a short shifter and enjoy the car but really you need to post up what kind of goals are planned for the car to do it right.