My car was babied its whole life ?

getinaGTsoon

Founding Member
Sep 8, 2002
Arkansas
I took my car to a local mechanic about the oil pressure thing, and he just kinda nodded that away but when he was looking at the engine.. he said that is 95% possible that it still has factory plugs/wires... and later that day I opened up my air induction to find a non-see-thru black air filter... as in dirty black. oh, and my car has 144,500 miles... is it possible to still have factory plugs/wires ? I proceeded to buy a K&N and afterwards I noticed my Oil pressure gauge is reading fully on the N and some on the O.... an improvement from barely on the N.... so my question would sort of be.... why would a change in air filter up the oil pressure, and I obviously need new plugs/wires but is that going to up the pressure as well ?? I'm a little stumped here.

• Sponsors (?)

Did he happen to change the oil and filter while he had it? If so, that could explain the pressure change.

Sounds like your "babied" car hasn't had the kind of maintenance that would qualify it as having been babied. There shouldn't be any connection between oil pressure and the changes you're talking about. However, the factory oil pressure gauges and sending units are notorious for being a bit finicky and inaccurate.

You might be amazed at how things worked/drove with a change in plugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor, and new O2 sensors -- if all that stuff has been soldiering on for years. And I presume all this has to do with a 5.0 of some sort - you don't really specify anything about your car other than the odometer reading.

Its probally a bad oil pressure sending unit. Sometimes the conection gets dirty and give false readings. Ok first thing to do is open the hood, and look on the drivers side of the motor. There will be a long tube with a sending unit on it with a wire plug in to it. Take the wire off and clean the conection then put it back on. It should work better. Here is a pic of what the oil sending unit might look like there are different types. This is just to give you an Idea.

yb.dll

Michael Yount said:
Did he happen to change the oil and filter while he had it? If so, that could explain the pressure change.

Sounds like your "babied" car hasn't had the kind of maintenance that would qualify it as having been babied. There shouldn't be any connection between oil pressure and the changes you're talking about. However, the factory oil pressure gauges and sending units are notorious for being a bit finicky and inaccurate.

You might be amazed at how things worked/drove with a change in plugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor, and new O2 sensors -- if all that stuff has been soldiering on for years. And I presume all this has to do with a 5.0 of some sort - you don't really specify anything about your car other than the odometer reading.

The oil was changed the previous day... It does need a tune-up pretty badly.. but all ihave the money for right now is plugs/wires possibly, I fixed my signature :O.

OK, turns out I was looking at something else and not on the block itself cause you can't see it from the top of the car.. you can see the wire, but I don't have a jack or tools to raise a car up.... but anyways, I bought a new oil sending unit cause I think that is where my little oil leak is coming from (its a very little leak).. so that was only 7 bucks and won't be hard to put in and I believe that will solve my oil pressure/leak problem.

MUSTANGJOE said:
Why would you say it was babied? :shrug:

I think what getinaGTsoon means is that the car was not "ragged" upon and was tooking pretty good care of so they didn't have to change the plugs and wires, etc..... :shrug:

I'm assuming the car runs good and he figures it must have been tooken care of for it to run that good and not be messed with.....

David

5spd GT said:
I think what getinaGTsoon means is that the car was not "ragged" upon and was tooking pretty good care of so they didn't have to change the plugs and wires, etc..... :shrug:

I'm assuming the car runs good and he figures it must have been tooken care of for it to run that good and not be messed with.....

David

:stupid:

The plugs and wires do need changed though but thats a given with the mileage. That is what I am meaning. The car is complete factory everything that came on the car I garuntee so thats why I have a bit of exhaust leak around the manifold/headers and oil leak around the sending unit.

my old 84 mustang i had was so babied it was unbelivable. first i was the 3rd owner and the 2nd owner was the relative of the 1st and said that the 1st owner bought it kept in the garage during winter and put 45,000 miles on it. by then it was 1992 and sold it to the 2nd owner which put 50,000 miles on it then it was 1998. then stored it till 02 where he brought it out and was going to have it as a project car but had a baby and lost interest so he sold it to me and the only problem was the carb was so old that it needed replaced or rebuilt.

well knowing a 16 year old as i was i totaly just destroyed the quality of it. but never wrecked.

getinaGTsoon said:
I took my car to a local mechanic about the oil pressure thing, and he just kinda nodded that away but when he was looking at the engine.. he said that is 95% possible that it still has factory plugs/wires... and later that day I opened up my air induction to find a non-see-thru black air filter... as in dirty black. oh, and my car has 144,500 miles... is it possible to still have factory plugs/wires ? I proceeded to buy a K&N and afterwards I noticed my Oil pressure gauge is reading fully on the N and some on the O.... an improvement from barely on the N.... so my question would sort of be.... why would a change in air filter up the oil pressure, and I obviously need new plugs/wires but is that going to up the pressure as well ?? I'm a little stumped here.

In 2000 I bought a 93gt. It had the original (motorcraft) wires and plugs. Had 88K on the ticker.

:hail2:

Idwitheld-1` said:
In 2000 I bought a 93gt. It had the original (motorcraft) wires and plugs. Had 88K on the ticker.

My '89 had original wires and 148,000 miles when I got it. Didnt change them until about 165,000. They were toast, though.

Anyway, it sounds like getinaGTsoon's car was neglected. Autolite plugs will cost a whopping $8, so you should have a little left over for some cheap Pep Boys plug wires. Pull the distributor cap and rotor too. In fact, those will probably affect how your car runs more than worn out plug wires.

getinaGTsoon said:
OK, turns out I was looking at something else and not on the block itself cause you can't see it from the top of the car.. you can see the wire, but I don't have a jack or tools to raise a car up.... but anyways, I bought a new oil sending unit cause I think that is where my little oil leak is coming from (its a very little leak).. so that was only 7 bucks and won't be hard to put in and I believe that will solve my oil pressure/leak problem.
unless my car was missing stuff, i did my sender from on top. i dont think i could do it from the bottom with the filter on. just check the size of the nut head deal on the new sending unit. undo the wire and stick the wrench on the bottom of the sender and out it comes.
use some teflon tape or something similar to seal the threads.

also, as Michael said, the stock set up is touchy. and that includes the gauge itself. so it may still read poorly after you do the sender. i would recommend (when you have more money) getting an aftermarket gauge to install. even something from the parts store is WAY better than stock. easy to plumb in too. good luck.

My 91 2.3 had original everything... Factory air filter, plugs, wires, belts, hoses, everything still said 1991 all over it. When i got it home i found it had 5 plugs mising most of the insulator, one of the 8 wires was broken in half, air filter was horrid, thermostat was stuck open also original, luckily it still ran good when I was done. I paid 500 for it and it has been a great daily driver so far..

HISSIN50 said:
unless my car was missing stuff, i did my sender from on top. i dont think i could do it from the bottom with the filter on. just check the size of the nut head deal on the new sending unit. undo the wire and stick the wrench on the bottom of the sender and out it comes.
use some teflon tape or something similar to seal the threads.

also, as Michael said, the stock set up is touchy. and that includes the gauge itself. so it may still read poorly after you do the sender. i would recommend (when you have more money) getting an aftermarket gauge to install. even something from the parts store is WAY better than stock. easy to plumb in too. good luck.

I could not see the sender at all... I could see the wire that connects to it, but thats it... It'll have to be done from the bottom unless you really know what your doing. Might just be my car.. who knows?