MY CAR WONT GO INTO REVERSE

• Sponsors (?)

Excellent question, Ron.
Quoting from the TR3650 description (Ford shop manual): "The reverse gear operates through a constant-mesh, fully synchronized system".
Quoting from the TR3650 parts breakdown: Item 35, P/N 7124 - reverse gear synchronizer assembly (consisting of item 37 spring, item 38 hub, item 39 insert, and item 40 sleeve).
So, is the Ford Mechanic lying to you? In a word, No.
The method I desscribed is not the only way to synchronize gears. There are several others I know of, and transmissions may use some or all of them, sometimes even 2 different methods in tandem. Some of these methods are known by purists as brakes, clutches, dogs, spline rings, etc. They reserve the term "synchro" for just one element in one particular method. They would insist the TR3650 has a reverse clutch or brake instead of a synchro, even though all 3 perform the same function.
Similarly, if I ask you if you own a sports car, you might say yes . . . while your mechanic might say "No he doesn't, he owns a Mustang". Depends on if you consider a Mustang to be a sports car.

Sounds to me like a cracked 5/reverse shift fork. Doesn't sound like reverse has a synchro so that would eliminate that problem. I doubt its the shifter if you have the stock shifter. Morever, since you have a stock shifter you're even more like to have a cracked shift fork. Even moreso the fact that you mentioned 5th gear feels different as well as you problems with reverse. Just my thoughts.

kirkyg

I also put it in 1st, roll up a little then it goes into reverse. Sometimes I'll put it in 1st then reverse like vvzer0incvv mentioned. I've operated like this for so long that I don't realize I'm doing it anymore.

We just rebuilt a 3650 and the customer put it in, all the fwd gears are fine but it won't go into reverse... and ideas of what could have happened? How do we remedy this? Are we going to have to open it back up or can it be fixed while installed? Thanks

Attachments

• finished1.jpg
    finished1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 47
What's a joke about it. We are a reputable transmission rebuilding shop, but I am not the builder, I am the social media marketer and GM. So with that said, I haven't the slightest clue of what's going on in it. It all went together nice, It shifted when tested, but somewhere between leaving the shop and the customer installing it, the reverse isn't working....