My color retrofit instructions

anthony05gt

Mar 18, 2006
Maryland
A lot of us bought the deluxe model mustangs that come with the 4 gauge package. If you want to upgrade to the 6 gauge cluster with the my color feature here's the information...

First, pop the blank out of the dash over your radio to the left of the traction control switches and power outlet. Behind that blank should be a section of wiring harness that plugs into the blank even though there are no switches on the blank. If you don't have the harness and plug there forget it. You can't do the upgrade. I've heard that cars without traction control do not have the plug. I also heard that the newer your is the less chance you have of the plug being there because Ford stopped producing cars with the extra wiring at some point. If you have the plug in there you're in good shape.

You'll need to go to the Ford parts department and order the new cluster and the switch assy. You must have your vin# and current mileage so they can call the cluster center and order your new cluster. The cluster center will install your mileage into the new cluster before shipping it. The mileage will be a little off if you drive the car for the few days it takes to get the cluster shipped. You will then have to go to the dealer where they have to retrieve the information from your old cluster before it's removed using Ford's WDS computer. The new cluster takes just a few minutes to install, then the Ford tech will load the info into the new cluster. Don't attempt to install the new cluster before the tech retrieves the info out of it.

The my color 6 gauge clusters are specific to GT or V-6 cars. They are not interchangeable. The switch assy part # is 4R3Z*10D889*AAA It lists for about $47.62. The actual cluster will have a different part# depending on which car you own. The cluster will cost anywhere from $250-$350 depending on yor dealer's pricing. Save the old cluster because the cluster center will need it as a core return.

I did my changeover today and all went well.

• Sponsors (?)

Why don't they just put them in all mustangs...stupid. I didnt notice that my car didn't have the extra color buttons and titanium dash until after I bought it. The only options should be leather/cloth, auto/manual.

cLeAnRaCiNgLdR said:
Why don't they just put them in all mustangs...stupid.

Because options such as the IUP with MyColor are highly profitable for Ford. All manufacurers play the option game as a way to boost profits on the vehicles they sell.

I guess... I just dont see the point in giving me the hookups and everything and then stopping right there. I guess they realize there are anal people out there like me who dont want to be left out. I'll have to give ford a couple hundred dollars to get my red dash lights.

bigcat said:
:banana: i am glad everything worked out for you. how long would you say it took from start to finish, including the tech using the WDS?

It takes only a few minutes to get the cluster out and I'd say Don Burton spent maybe 5-10 minutes with the WDS doing his thing. He had never done it before Friday and he said it was nothing to it.