My Fuel pump wont prime, junked? which new one for 24lbers?

staticc

Founding Member
Sep 28, 2002
Jupiter, FL
well. yesterday i was working on my car. running wires for my MSD box.. etc. i started it for a minute or two. blah blah, running like crap like usual but it ran etc.

now today i go out to finish running the wires. start hiding them etc.
i put my key in and turn it to get my cd player goin.. i notice the fuel pump wont prime. so hm, i thought maybe its because last night i ran the battery low from having the doors open. and cd player goin all night running wires. or maybe the computer is screwin somethin. so first. i tried the interia switch in the hatch. no fuel pump still. disconnect the battery, and put it on the charger.

half a day later. i connect the battery back, no fuel pump priming.
i just installed 24lb injectors, and a pro-m mass air meter for 24lbs.. havent really DRIVEN it since the injectors, because it ran horribly. could this extra strain have killed my pump?
What can i check to see if the pump is actually dead, or what. id like to be able to sell it at least and upgrade.

NOW! what size pump should i put with my combo? and im planning on doing 100 shot in the future (wet shot). Is there any brands i should avoid? or any superior brands.

How hard is it to install a new fuel pump? any trps/trick? can i do it in my driveway?

thanks, derek

• Sponsors (?)

do you have juice to the relay? is the relay good? since you were playing with wires, that could have done it. the pump really doesnt see extra strain from anything. it pumps what it can, and if its not enough, you will run lean.
i would check the wiring more, since thats what you played with. check for the puter input to the relay when in prime mode, etc.

good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
do you have juice to the relay? is the relay good? since you were playing with wires, that could have done it. the pump really doesnt see extra strain from anything. it pumps what it can, and if its not enough, you will run lean.
i would check the wiring more, since thats what you played with. check for the puter input to the relay when in prime mode, etc.

good luck.

well i really didnt touch any wires. or cut or change anything at all.
all i did was route some wires from the passenger seat up and behind the cd player. and through a rubber grommet on the driver side. i dont see what i could have messed up for the fuel pump

ahh, i got you. sorry, i misread (thought by "hiding wires," you were doing so in the bay).
you can jump the pump and then see what kind of pressure you have at the schrader valve. if its good, you likely have an electrical fault.
i would start at the electrical side (more likely to fail). check the relay (should be under the driver seat or on the pass strut tower). sounds like the relay has no juice or no ground pulse from the computer. this should take less than five mins to check.
good luck.

I think my relay's going slowly, i just pulled it up so it's right under the drivers seat, so if it doesn't turn off or something i just tap it and it works like a champ ;) It might be worth checking that though, because that's really simple to replace, and if that's just it then you'll save yourself a lot of hassle.

-Bart