My weekend project - 2000 GT 5.4L swap

1slow95

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
ohio
I thought you guys might be interested in the latest project I have going on. :) My cousin's 2000 GT decided to give up after around 95,000 miles. After many hours of researching, he picked up a ~15k mile complete 5.4L out of an 02 F-150. He also ordered a Bassani o/r x-pipe, VT stage 1 cams, Reichard Racing 4.6L - 5.4L intake adapter plates, and all the gaskets and misc. stuff for the swap. We're going to try to accomplish this in one weekend!:eek:

We're still waiting for the x-pipe and cams, even though they were ordered 2 weeks ago. Both companies said the parts would be in by friday(tomorrow) when ordered. As of now, nobody knows where the x-pipe is, and VT says the cams may not have even been ground yet. :notnice: We're going ahead with the swap this weekend with or without the parts. We can use the stock exhaust for now, and the cams....we'll need to pull the 5.4 out to change them later, so I really hope they show up tomorrow.

I'll keep this thread updated with pics and details of our progress. Dyno numbers will be coming soon as well, since it will be tuned as soon as all the bugs are worked out.

This doesn't sound good...http://mustangaddiction.com/shawn/mustangvideo008.MOV

And I'm sure this had nothing to do with the problem. ;)
http://mustangaddiction.com/shawn/shawnburnout.wmv

Here's what we have so far.
5.4pic6.jpg

5.4%20project%20023.jpg

Attachments

• 5.4pic6.jpg
    5.4pic6.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 994
  • 5.4%20project%20023.jpg
    5.4%20project%20023.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 1,167
  • Sponsors (?)

Nice. I think you guys can pull it off in one weekend. I did a 4.6 swap in a 97 GT a few years back. Pulled the old, seized one out, dropped the new one in, and had it on the road in about 12 hours.

Its actually my car we are doing the swap on and I live in Columbus but we are doing the swap in my uncles shop which is in Newport, Ohio. Thanks for the offer though!

I just received an email from VT Engines and the cams will not be done this week. :mad: :bang:

Go ahead and get some long tubes for it even if it means putting it off another week. Putting them on now would be a lot better then later.

Long tubes on a 5.4L! :rlaugh: Based on my research, that's pretty much impossible without spending $$$$ for custom headers. LT's were in the plan from the start, but due to cost plus the lack of space I think it'll be shorties at best.

94-302-vert said:
You pulling it from the top or bottom?

I'd say more than likely from the top.

I just picked up some atlantic blue(car color) paint for some of the engine pieces. We've gotta add some bling while we're in there! :D

I have that engine... in an F150.

260 hp, 330 trq. Should give quite a kick in the butt from 2K to 4k. Runs out of juice around 5k.

Kinda like a stock stang......

Adam

Cams and a tune should fix that problem. ;)
I'd say it'll be good up to 5300-5500. You don't really want to go much higher than that with a stock bottom end anyways. (or so I've heard)

Yeah, they blow out the spark plugs b/c either people rag on them to the point the plus blows out of the aluminum head, or they are insatlled wrong when someone tries to change them.

On another note, this is definately cheaper than buying a GT-500 car. It's about the same as putting a 351 in one of our cars. But it's not like you haven't done that before :rolleyes:.

i assume it is a SOHC? iirc, they make them DOHC for the newer navigators.

why do you need the intake spacers again? i used to know the reason when i had my 1996 and was contemplating the 5.4 swap ...

we need lots of pics.

5.4 block is diff. so the intakes need an adaptor...kinda like the 351 and 302 intakes deal. The 5.4 should have PI heads and with the mustang intake they are supposed to really wake up over the truck intake.

I would like to do something like this down the road....but it would be a 4v.

Yeah, it's a SOHC. The 5.4 DOHC was too much $$$. If you're doing a 5.4 swap DOHC is the way to go, but it'll cost you about twice what a SOHC runs. I believe it was around $1500 for the complete 5.4 SOHC with ~15k on it.

The intake spacers allow you to run a 4.6 intake on the 5.4. With a little notching, it'll fit under a stock hood. :)

And there will be lots of pics! And hopefully a video or two. :D