Mysterious coolant loss - 5.0 in a FFR Cobra

chepsk8

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2001
Easton, PA
I am running this thread in the Factory Five Spec Racers forum, but wanted to ask you braniacs as well!:hail2: :SNSign:

Here's the thread, any ideas? :shrug:

Many thanks!:nice:

"My FFR MkII sees a few track events a year. Here is the basics on my build, nothing crazy:

5.0 from donor, all stock & untouched
New 3-Row Mustang radiator
16" Electric fan with Mustang shroud
Holley 600 D/P carb
Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold
Big Ignition
Front spoiler
FFR supplied "T"
180 degree T-stat, no 1/8" hole

When I first got it on the road, it was constantly losing coolant, until I found a bad intake manifold gasket for the front coolant passage, as it was pulling coolant into the lifter galley and then through the PCV into the engine. Changed the gaskets, problem disappeared on street driving last fall & this spring.

I jusy returned from a one-day track event, and it's just as bad as ever. loses all fluids, heats up, etc. I let it cool, re-fill with water, and it stays good at idle and putting around, heats up on the track.

Last year, I ran a compression test & leakdown, all was good, with all cylenders 140-165, and it help pressure during the leak down.

Here are my questions:

1 - How is my cooling system different than yours?
2 - What temps does your car run while on-track?
note - I am running a mechanical gauge which is located in the back of the intake manifold, could this be giving me false readings?
3 - Do you run a thermostat?
4 - I know the motor is again losing coolant, and getting air into the cooling system. I will pull off the intake again tonight to see if it again killed the gaskets. Could I have a bad or mis-matched intake manifold?
5 - Could the FFR-supplied "T" be a contributing factor?
6 - How do you run your overflow lines? Do you catch both the radiator & "T" overflows with one can?
7 - Any other ideas?

Many, many thanks in advance!

Dan"

• Sponsors (?)

Best location for the sender for the temp gauge is in front of the #5 intake runner. There is a 1/2" pipe boss for the stock temp gauge.

Intake is coming off tonight. It has previously opened a gasket by #5.

J Richker, I may indeed swap locations, though I hope the rear manifold location for the cooling fan sensor will work OK.....