mysterious oil leak. PLEASE HELP

zeusmoto

Feb 15, 2004
utah
alright my oil light came on the other day because i was running low becuase of a leak somewhere. i was wondering wehre the leak might be. the leaking oil comes out somewhere behind the intake manifold and at higher speed 90+mph the oil sprinkles itself on top of the manifold. last winter i replaced one valve cover gasket but not the other. the one gasket was leaking on the headers making a tonf of smoke that was very strong smelling. so what do you think this might be?
basically it is a leak behind the intake manifold and it might be the valve covers. any more ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

is it definatley oil or could it be tranny fluid? cause i had a leaking tranny and i had smoke everywhere on my old 93 and it was tranny fluid. It could be the lower intake or valve cover, or it could be leaking from the PCV, it could be many things just get a little mirror and look around

i think it had something to do with the pcv. for some reason there is a little tube leading out of the engine with no where to go and the the previous owner said to just shove it back in, and that it was to small or kept coming out. so how do i fix it if it is the pcv. the tube is fairly small i dont know for sure what it does so educate me here. i want to fix it but, is it a big hassle? it is hard enough to try and fit my hand back there. i hope i can fix it:(

first off, how do you know what your oil leak is doing at 90 mph? it is dangerous to drive 90 with a friend sitting on the motor watching it. :D

there is a lot of info on the PCV if you search in here. basically, there is the valve, the grommet, and the metal screen below both. i would recommend getting ford pieces for that- some aftermarket PCV valves dont fit well.
do you see oil around the rubber grommet?

if so (or if not) get new pieces - less than 30 bucks from the dealer. then you are good to go for 2 years with no worries.
(some people clean the metal screen, but for like 6 bucks, i would just get a new one).
good luck. will it ever end with you and that car? J/K.

i just know that it start really flowing at around 90 because, when i look at the engine afterwards oil has splattered on the top of the manifold. does the pcv valve have a hose like i am talking about or is this hose somethign else.