Engine Mystery threaded hole on block

stang80s

May 14, 2015
Hey guys, I am in the middle of a intake manifold install on my 84 gt vert with a 90+ engine installed. On the back of the block near the firewall I see this threaded hole and nothing was connected to it. Does anyone know what it is for ? Picture attached. Thanks
0329211913edit.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

For the knock sensor that came on the F1SE block used in 1991+ 302 engines that were in Mustangs and other fords with the 302. I believe only the F150 used the knock sensor.

Does confirm you do have a 91+ engine

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on the system. My MS3pro has a built in knock circuit, I just supply two GM style knock sensors threaded into the back of the head. It takes some setup but works well.

something to note is that a knock sensor can be blinded by excessive mechanical noise and thus rendered useless

Depends on the system. My MS3pro has a built in knock circuit, I just supply two GM style knock sensors threaded into the back of the head. It takes some setup but works well.

something to note is that a knock sensor can be blinded by excessive mechanical noise and thus rendered useless
Do you have a GM sensor # small enough to use the 302’s accessory bolt holes, or do they use the thermactor plug holes?

Mechanical noise is a concern on my other, air cooled project where a knock sensor would be helpful with increased operating temps under load.

Sorry to derail this more, but who was making excess mechanical noise, and who was rendered useless? I am sure there is a lesson for us here, but there is no need to answer if you are in witness protection.
I wish I could help with an answer here but mine got rid of me 26 years ago so I can't remember.....