Mystery Wires = backup lights?

fess40

Founding Member
Nov 17, 2001
Paris, Illinois
I have a '66 GT Coupe. I've had the car forever but the backup lights have never worked. I put new bulbs in and nothing happened, so I thought I'd start checking wires to make sure everything was connected. All of the wires in the back seem to be ok, I can follow them just over the drivers side wheel well in the trunk (where do they go from there?). I found the switch on the C4 with four wires coming off of it. All four of them are wrapped in a ton of electrical tape and run up through the engine compartment. Two of them are used up front, but there are two that just hang there. Do these go to my lights? I tried reading the Haynes manual but got kinda confused. Any suggestions on where to start? It came from the factory with a 4sp but was swapped to a C4 by a PO (probably the same one that took the HIPO out :notnice: ). The neutral safety thing seems to be ok because the car will only start in park and neutral. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

fess40 said:
I have a '66 GT Coupe. I've had the car forever but the backup lights have never worked. I put new bulbs in and nothing happened, so I thought I'd start checking wires to make sure everything was connected. All of the wires in the back seem to be ok, I can follow them just over the drivers side wheel well in the trunk (where do they go from there?). I found the switch on the C4 with four wires coming off of it. All four of them are wrapped in a ton of electrical tape and run up through the engine compartment. Two of them are used up front, but there are two that just hang there. Do these go to my lights? I tried reading the Haynes manual but got kinda confused. Any suggestions on where to start? It came from the factory with a 4sp but was swapped to a C4 by a PO (probably the same one that took the HIPO out :notnice: ). The neutral safety thing seems to be ok because the car will only start in park and neutral. Thanks.

For some reason my 66 diagram does not have wire colors on the BU light circuit, but my 65 does and Ford is pretty good about keeping colors the same.

according to the 65 there is a BLK/RED hot from the fuse panel to the backup light switch, then another BLK/RED from the switch directly to the backup lights. in the 65 it's the same circuit that feeds the radio, I'm assuming it is the same on yours.

Red66GT said:
My 66 GT coupe doesn't even have reverse lights, or a place to put them. Needless to say I'm very careful when I back up.

They were an option some years, you can put them on if you want, the wiring should all be there, just cut them in. You can use the gasket as a template.

WORTH said:
according to the 65 there is a BLK/RED hot from the fuse panel to the backup light switch, then another BLK/RED from the switch directly to the backup lights. in the 65 it's the same circuit that feeds the radio, I'm assuming it is the same on yours.

Will I find both connections under the dash then? Because I'm not sure where the wires from the lights go once they disapear out of the trunk. From my diagram it looks like one wire may go to a red triangle type 3 hole female plug under the dash. Guess I better check the wire to the radio.
Thanks again.