Need a lil help on engine mods

baker2956

Mar 4, 2004
NY
I have a 1967 coupe w/ a 289 in it now. Needs a rebuild but I was thinking maybe I'll just throw in a 302. I want a fast daily driver. Good off the line so I can smoke these silly little euro cars :D I already have some bolt ons. They are as follows: Edlebrock 600 cfm electric choke carb, Weiand Stealth Intake, and edelbrock performer series fuel pump.

I also plan on throwing in a crane hydraulic roller cam and crane roller lifters.
For exhaust I plan on Hedman long tube headers, hedman X-pipe and flowmaster 2.5. The trans is a C-4 and I'll probably put in a 2400 stall converter. The rear is the 8" not sure of the gears. Might put in 3:55.

Electrical Im not sure what to do.(distributor, coils, etc.)

After that Im not sure what to do. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Im still pretty new to the classic Mustang.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the boards!
I agree with golf, doing an engine swap for a few more cubes probably isn't the best power/cost combo. Stroking your current engine would be much cheaper than dropping in a new block, and give you a lot more power. If there is something wrong with your block, or you simply want SOMETHING bigger, why not a 351. That would be quite a big more expensive, but if you buy a new block you're spending a lot of money already. Just a thought. I'd go with the stroker personally.

For the cam: I'm sure you already know, but just in case, the block has to be set up for a roller cam. For a 302 I know it has to be an 86+ (correct me if im wrong), but I have no knowledge of a 289 roller (my knowledge is pretty limited though, so that doesn't mean there definately isn't one).

Exhaust sounds good, gears sound good. Make sure the converter matches whatever cam you decide on.

As far as electrical goes, some people think stock is fine, others like the aftermarket stuff. I noticed a little more liveliness in my engine and an increase in milage after throwing in my MSD coil and 6AL.
Best of luck.

NorCal66 said:
Welcome to the boards!
I agree with golf, doing an engine swap for a few more cubes probably isn't the best power/cost combo. Stroking your current engine would be much cheaper than dropping in a new block, and give you a lot more power. If there is something wrong with your block, or you simply want SOMETHING bigger, why not a 351. That would be quite a big more expensive, but if you buy a new block you're spending a lot of money already. Just a thought. I'd go with the stroker personally.

For the cam: I'm sure you already know, but just in case, the block has to be set up for a roller cam. For a 302 I know it has to be an 86+ (correct me if im wrong), but I have no knowledge of a 289 roller (my knowledge is pretty limited though, so that doesn't mean there definately isn't one).

Exhaust sounds good, gears sound good. Make sure the converter matches whatever cam you decide on.

As far as electrical goes, some people think stock is fine, others like the aftermarket stuff. I noticed a little more liveliness in my engine and an increase in milage after throwing in my MSD coil and 6AL.
Best of luck.

Yeah Im pretty new to this myself. My buddy, who unfortunately is a chevy guy, told me about the roller cam. I found one roller cam but it sounds like sticking w/ a normal cam will be better. Do you have any idea of which one would be good? I figure a crane but which ratio? I like the 331 stroker kit idea i think. I was also told to get a 306 from DSS Racing. Heard the strokers give out faster. Also how does the stroker kit work? I also heard the stock electrical works fine but I was planning on beefing it up w/ some MSD stuff.

golf4283 said:
if you are going to go larger you might as well consider doing a stroker. You could probably get pretty good horsepower from a 331 or 347. I would suggest no more than a 331 for a 289 block tho. You can pickup a kit from www.coasthigh.com for around 700-800 dollars. Not a bad deal IMO.

Hey I like the stroker idea. I went to CHP and only saw kits for over $1000. If thats the case I'd probably go w/ DSS racing. They're pretty good as well. How did the granada disc brake conversion work out? Im thinkin of doing the same thing.

I hear ya on the time issue. Let me know how it goes though. I just got this CD-rom guide on the swap so if you want I can try to burn you a copy of it or if u have any questions I can look it up probably.

baker2956 said:
Yeah Im pretty new to this myself. My buddy, who unfortunately is a chevy guy, told me about the roller cam. I found one roller cam but it sounds like sticking w/ a normal cam will be better. Do you have any idea of which one would be good? I figure a crane but which ratio? I like the 331 stroker kit idea i think. I was also told to get a 306 from DSS Racing. Heard the strokers give out faster. Also how does the stroker kit work? I also heard the stock electrical works fine but I was planning on beefing it up w/ some MSD stuff.

A new 306 would be a great way to go, it all comes down to how much money you want to spend I suppose. It is true that strokers do wear out faster, the more you stroke, the shorter you can expect the life to be. This is why most street cars will be a 331 and most race cars will be a 347 (from 302). A stroker kit pretty much works by giving you a different bottom end. A different crank is used, which gives a longer stroke, thus the name.

If you do decide on getting a new block, and have the option of a roller block vs. a non-roller, the roller will give you more power.

NorCal66 said:
A new 306 would be a great way to go, it all comes down to how much money you want to spend I suppose. It is true that strokers do wear out faster, the more you stroke, the shorter you can expect the life to be. This is why most street cars will be a 331 and most race cars will be a 347 (from 302). A stroker kit pretty much works by giving you a different bottom end. A different crank is used, which gives a longer stroke, thus the name.

If you do decide on getting a new block, and have the option of a roller block vs. a non-roller, the roller will give you more power.

Check out this block at dssracing.com...look under short blocks and check out the Base Bullet Block. What do you think?

What are your goals for the car? Fast has a great many definitions, I mean a 13 second car will outrun 8/10 or better of the cars you will see on the street. If you plan to take it to the track as well, it is good to start off making sure everything is done right and solid from the bottom up (block).

They sum it up pretty well
this engine for street/ strip, daily driven, low maintenance, moderate horsepower, non-power adder applications.
I think for a daily driver, that base bullet would be more than adequate. Not planning on any huge NO2 shots are ya :D ? Looks like a good block to me: roller, fly-cut pistons, balanced and blueprinted.

NorCal66 said:
What are your goals for the car? Fast has a great many definitions, I mean a 13 second car will outrun 8/10 or better of the cars you will see on the street. If you plan to take it to the track as well, it is good to start off making sure everything is done right and solid from the bottom up (block).

They sum it up pretty well
I think for a daily driver, that base bullet would be more than adequate. Not planning on any huge NO2 shots are ya :D ? Looks like a good block to me: roller, fly-cut pistons, balanced and blueprinted.

You will also need to consider doing something with your heads. You should at lease consider having PowerHeads, located in S. CA. port out your heads and install larger valves for better beathing and a good HP gain. This will run around 700.00 using your heads. Alum aftermarkets will cost you twice that amount or more.

68 dailydriver :spot: :spot:

68 daily driver said:
You will also need to consider doing something with your heads. You should at lease consider having PowerHeads, located in S. CA. port out your heads and install larger valves for better beathing and a good HP gain. This will run around 700.00 using your heads. Alum aftermarkets will cost you twice that amount or more.

68 dailydriver :spot: :spot:

Heads were def in the plans just wasnt sure which way to go. I was originally
told to go w/ the aluminums but then I heard porting my stocks heads would be just as good. What do you think?

Well Ive made my decision. Im going w/ the 331 stroker kit.Still need to figure out which heads and what cam. Any suggestions on those. Once again this will be a daily driven car but I want a good take off. Im using a stock C-4 trans w/ 2400 converter.