Need A Little Hand Holding....

bizkit1976

May 1, 2011
First off, I would just like to say hi and introduce myself. I have been lurking on the board for while, trying to absorb as much info as possible. I am new to both the Mustand and Classic car world.

I bought a '66 Coupe about a month ago. Cosmetically, it's in really good shape and I "believe" I have very little to do there. I have been building a list of things that I would like to do, but being new to this world, it is hard to know what would be too much to bite off on my own.

I have decided to purchase a new set of rims and a "top end" kit from Edelbrock. I have decided that I just like the fact that the parts are matched, and the kit comes with everything that I should need to do the job. So this leads me to my question. How involved is something like this, and would you recommend a "novice" attempt it? If so....

1. What tools will I need?
2. Are there any manuals/books I can buy that can give me step by step instructions?
3. How time consuming would a project like this be?

If not, what would somthing like this cost in labor hours to have someone to it for me? I would rather do it myself and learn things in the process, but I also know that I have limitations and do not want to cause a bigger mess by biting off more than I can chew. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Bizkit

• Sponsors (?)

get a good shop manual. All the Edelbrock stuff uses the same bolts as the old parts, so it should all go in the same as well. Be sure to allow yourself plenty of time, because everything takes twice as long as you think it will. I might also recommend getting new fasteners for everthing you will be taking off, as the old ones might be a rusty or abused by previous owners. The tools necessary are basic hand tools, plus a gasket scraper. oh, and a torque wrench.

All the Edelbrock stuff uses the same bolts as the old parts

BAD

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

NEVER use the same headbolts. EVER. Usually they get stretched out (and IIRC, they're actually designed to do so). The Trick flow kit that I used for a buddies camaro had all new bolts.

some stuff, yes you can use the old bolts, but its better off if the new kit has the new stuff for ya :nice:

EDIT: the one i found on summit has all the necixary new hardware for ya, GTG! :nice:

Bizkit,
Before installing that "Top End Kit" you'd be well advised to confirm that your "Low End" is in good enough condition to accommodate it. Compression test (wet & dry) and real world oil pressure numbers hot/cold/idle/driving. At least hat way you will know what you're in for. I have seen countless, seemingly good engines start experiencing blow-by and other issues after installing new heads or doing a valve job due to weak rings, etc.
My $.02,
Gene

Amazon.com: 1966 COMET FAIRLANE FALCON MUSTANG Service Manual: Automotive

thats the same shop manual I have for my 68 and its a bible. Probably one of the best I've had. All you'll need outside your standard stuff is a torque wrentch for everything, and if you follow that manual, pretty much anyone can put the whole thing together :p

Thanks for the link, I will def. be purchasing this! So with this manual, it is not out of the realm for someone like me to tackle something like this? I realize that it will def. take me longer than the average mechanic, but what kind of time frame would I be looking at? Thanks to everyone esle for info as well. The kit I am looking at comes with the bolts, so there shouldn't be any concerns with that portion.

I have also heard about making sure that the lower half was in good working order. The motor was rebuilt in '07, or I have receipts that at least show that it was. I am definately interested in learning more about compression and other tests that were mentioned. How involved are they? This kit I am looking at also comes with a new timing chain. I have read where there is a "wheel" that is used to set the timing. Is this correct? How much are they, and are they easy to use?

One last thing, is there anyone out there that has had these "top end" kits installed? What kind of labor/charges would I be looking at if I had someone do this? I am trying to balance out all of the pros/cons before I decide to jump in head first.

Thanks again to everyone who has chipped in so far. Sorry for some of these questions, I am very new at this and look forward to learning.

Bizkit

Gene hit on a point I would like to elaborate on, make sure of your bottom end! You need to know what cc heads you have currently, if 58cc and the edelbrock heads a 64cc then you are going to lose power instead of gain it. Also you need to make sure you understand what the rpm range of the cam is, make sure you have a proper rear end gears and torque converter to accommodate the new engine dynamics. Don't fall into the trap of "boxtop" horsepower claims. Do your homework, learn the basics. What is the part number of the edelbrock kit? I would love to check the specs on it for myself if you dont mind.

Sure thing Robb, here it is.....

Edelbrock.com - Power Package - Top End Kits - Ford

I was looking at either the #2027 or #2091.

I have the stock rear end in it for the moment, but that is next on the list, or should it be first? I have read numerous threads debating rear ends and think I am just going to purchase a new "third member" with "tru-trac" and different gear ratio. I am leaning towards the 3.40

As far as the two kits mentioned above, I have gone back and forth between the two. I figured it was worth spending the extra money to get better heads. One of them the cam spec's is from idle and the the other starts at 1k. I didn't think either would be a bad options, but again, I'm new and only have the knowledge from these boards.

I guess my end game is to have a fun cruiser. I just want something that performs as good as she looks I guess. Something to be proud of so to speak.

Bizkit (Go Gators!)

Congrats on the purchase of your Mustang. :nice:

I'm going to say something a little different than some of the other guys. I'm not saying that you couldn't do this job by yourself but it wouldn't hurt to have somebody to help you with this job. If you can find a good shade tree mechanic locally that would help you out you might not have to pay him too much. Maybe find a guy at a local Mustang club, car club or ask around at a cruise. You could take it apart and clean it up and let him guide you with putting it back together.

Oh yeah, you might have already mentioned this but a set of headers would help you out too.

One more question....that I dont believe was answered...what motor is in the car now? Stock 289? Did someone stick a 302 down in the car at some point? Make sure you properly identify what you have before you go to modifying it.

You'll need to get the distributor timing curves adjusted. These are always way off, and you're not going to be stock anymore anyway. I have seen many times engines that just didn't run right, turned out the advance curves were all wrong.

Unless you have a specific timing setup with the Edelbrock kit, just have the shop set your vacuum and centrifugal curves to BOSS 302 specs.

C9ZF-12127-E.jpg

All great info, and I really appreciate it. Sorry I forgot to mention it, but yes, it has the stock 289 in it with a 2V carb. I have also thought about finding someone to sort of guide me through the process. I have a mechanic that I use and am going to be hitting him up to see what he would charge.

To be totally honest, I really want to do this myself. With that being said, I also know my limitations. I was just thinking that this would be a great project to introduce myself to this car. I want to be able to work on it when/if needed and do not want to be totally reliant on someone else. This is one of the main reasons I decided to by a classic car.

As far as the distributor timing curves that were mentioned, is this something that can be done at home with standard tools? It sounds a little complicated, is it something that your run of the mill shade tree mechanics could do? I am only asking because if I can't do it, then I was going to use my mechanic. Should I be looking for a dedicated engine shop to be doing this? Does the shop manual mentioned earlier cover this topic? Speaking of the shop manual, I found one on Ebay and it has been ordered! :)

Sorry for all of the questions. When I get excited, my brain will sometimes go into overload. As always, apprreciate the time spent answering them....

Bizkit

I was in the same boat your in.

I got my car in 2007 and had no idea what to do. With the help of these guys on stangnet and some youtube videos, I was able to do 95% of the work on my car. Here is the key, when you get stuck (and you will alot) stop what your doing, ask alot of questions, and when your sure about the answer, then proceed. I waited up to a couple weeks a few times just waiting on enough information to proceed.

One more thing I highly suggest, get a good camera, and when your disasembling stuff, use it alot, it`ll save you major headaches later when you try and put it back together later (sometimes MUCH later then you planned on).

I got my car in 2007 and had no idea what to do. With the help of these guys on stangnet and some youtube videos, I was able to do 95% of the work on my car. Here is the key, when you get stuck (and you will alot) stop what your doing, ask alot of questions, and when your sure about the answer, then proceed. I waited up to a couple weeks a few times just waiting on enough information to proceed.

One more thing I highly suggest, get a good camera, and when your disasembling stuff, use it alot, it`ll save you major headaches later when you try and put it back together later (sometimes MUCH later then you planned on).

Thanks, your story gives me a little confidence. I like the camera idea too, I think it could def. save me some heart ache. I have some thinking to do I guess. Maybe I will drive it as is this summer and just resign myself to doing it over the fall/winter months. That way I do not feel like I need to be rushing. So many possibilities, what is a man to do...sigh! :shrug: