Need a little help.

Kevin87

Feb 10, 2013
Grundy Va
Just got an 87 gt and done the FRPP ac and smog pump delete with under drive pullies. What I want to know is what else can I delete of the smog junk to clean up the engine abit. I removed the lines coming off the smog pump going to the heads and the line going to the mid pipe. I want rid of as much junk under the hood as I can get out of there. As for the egr vavle I would like to get rid of all that mess to. I looked around for a write up but no luck. Thanks

Mods to the car
ac and smog pump delete
offroad h pipe
cheap cold air intake
3.73s
underdrive pullies
have the MASS air kit from fiveoligy but have not put it on yet.

• Sponsors (?)

If your going to drive the car a lot, I would consider keeping the egr. Sure it's not the prettiest system in the world, but it shuts off at WOT, and helps with fuel economy during cruise.

The car will not be driven much at all maybe a few times a year and maybe a few trips to the track when I have a few more hp. As for the fuel economy no big deal.

If you want to delete the EGR, consider disabling it first (without removing the components) to set a hard code and ensure the EEC will disable the EGR function. Otherwise, you might end up with part-throttle issues.

Just remove it and let it trip a code. You'll just have to live with the check engine light on in the dash unless you want a custom tune to permanently disable it.

Deleting smog/emmissions components needs to be done carefully as just arbitrarily yanking stuff off can leave a car running poorly.

you can remove all of the hoses for the smog pump if not done already and plug off the two vacuum lines on the passenger firewall. I wouldn't remove the EGR but if you want to, you can buy a resistor off Ebay and other sites that will trick the computer so not to throw off codes that plugs into the electric connector. Then you can remove the EGR and put on a block off plate and cap off the vacuum line.

Removing the pollution control equipment from a 5.0 Mustang is a bad idea. All you have accomplished is to make the computer mad and spit codes. The pollution control equipment all shuts off at wide open throttle, so the HP losses from it on the car are 2-5 HP. The catalytic converters may soak a few more HP than that. None of the pollution control equipment reduces the HP enough to cost you a race in anything but professional drag strip competition. I seriously doubt that you will be in the final runoff on “Pinks”, so leave the smog equipment in place and make sure it is working correctly.

Know what does what before removing it. Remove or disable the wrong thing and the computer sets the check engine light and runs in "limp mode". Limp mode means reduced power and fuel economy.

If you removed the smog pump and still have catalytic converters, they will ultimately clog and fail.

Here's a book that will get you started with how the Ford electronic engine control or "computer" works.

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control 1988-1993 by James Probst :ISBN 0-8376-0301-3.

It's about $20-$45 from Borders.com see http://www.amazon.com/ . Select books and then select search. Use the ISBN number (without dashes or spaces) to do a search

Use the ISBN number and your local library can get you a loaner copy for free. Only thing is you are limited to keeping the book for two weeks. It is very good, and I found it to be very helpful.

Remove any of the equipment and you will not pass a full smog check, cannot title the car in an area that does smog checks and have broken several federal laws. Granted that the Feds are short on people to check cars, but it is still Federal law.