Need a Rebuilt What am I expecting to pay and recommendations in Southern California

RWDRIFT

Feb 9, 2007
I just did a compression check and found out that my 1996 Mustang Cobra has low compression. How much am I looking to spend to rebuild it. I just want something like stock, I don't need high performance.

Do you guys have a recommendation for a shop in Southern California or Orange Country that does great work for a reasonable price?

• Sponsors (?)

I just did a compression check and found out that my 1996 Mustang Cobra has low compression. How much am I looking to spend to rebuild it. I just want something like stock, I don't need high performance.

Do you guys have a recommendation for a shop in Southern California or Orange Country that does great work for a reasonable price?

If you were in Norhern CA I would suggest having my friend build your car. He's a professional mechanic and builds cars for fun. He is actually rebuilding my block with this week, with Forged internals, porting my heads, and installing comp cams for a total of $4500 that includes all parts and labor. I would offer my old parts but they were at 100k so it wouldn't be smart to use them.

All in all honesty, Since you going to put so much money into rebuilding it you might as well beef it up, it'll cost almost near the same cost. If you want to go to MMR and get a shortblock for $2249 that is capable of 600hp and one for $2599 that is up to 800hp. They are also located in Ventura CA so you could take a trip up there and have them install it. Which is much better than stock, and in the end someone your resell value will be a bit more than if you threw a stock engine in it, because there is always someone looking for a high hp, or if you ever decide to add boost.

Modular Mustang Racing

I have around 100K miiles on my motor as well. This MMR place you speak of. Also do they do installs also or do they just build motors.

What exactly is a short block? Sorry for the lack of knowledge. I am not very familar with engine or engine building.

a short block is an assembled engine block containing crankshaft, conrods and pistons along with bearings. it does not contain cylinder heads.

honestly if you want pure stock, get a Ford reman. they might cost more, but they have a 3 year 100k mile warranty, call a ford dealer, have your VIN ready and at least get an estimate from them.

Thanks for the info. At over 100,000 miles should everything be replaced. I never have owner a car that had this many miles so I do apologize as I am quite lost right now.

a ford reman should include everything you need for the engine itself. replace the t-stat, hoses, belt, and anything else that looks worn. look at the motor mounts also. remember, not only do you have 100k miles, you're talking about 13+ year old components.

you have a cobra, I would just have your motor freshed up with some good pistons and rods and new bearings and rings. bore the motor .010. No need to down grade to an MMR short block with an iron block and cast crank when for cheaper, you could rebuild your motor. You already have a forged crank and alumiumn block, I would run with that.

you have a cobra, I would just have your motor freshed up with some good pistons and rods and new bearings and rings. bore the motor .010. No need to down grade to an MMR short block with an iron block and cast crank when for cheaper, you could rebuild your motor. You already have a forged crank and alumiumn block, I would run with that.
I agree. We're talking $1000 if you shop around for FORGED rods/pistons/bearings and you'd have a 800hp capible shortblock ready to go. Just with stock stuff it couldnt cost more than $400-500 in parts.

How low compression we talking? 100k should be nothing.