Drivetrain Need a replacement for AODE... 4R70W?

nelzfoxes

5 Year Member
Aug 20, 2013
I bought a 94 pushrod 5.0 V8 convertible with an automatic transmission. The car is in pretty good shape, but the transmission will not shift past second gear. In the event that I can’t find the problem, or the problem is internal and necessitates a rebuild... when I replace it with the abundant 4R70W found behind the later 3.8 V6 mustangs what problems if any will I run into?

• Sponsors (?)

full.jpg

I did find threads on here about the 4r70w swap so I guess I am good there unless you’d like to share something. I can’t wait to try a neutral safety switch to see if I stole this car! I would hope the previous owner tried all easy fixes. I am out of town for work but as soon as I get back I am gonna pull wrenches.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m sure you read about needing a controller etc to use the 4R70W, since they are very similar transmissions-a lot of the upgraded 4r70w parts can be swapped into the aode.
I recently had an aode gone through with these upgrades, once it’s avtually all back together I’m hoping to report a noticeable difference lol

Well I guess I should’ve known with the trans connector difference. I was hoping to use whatever was in the 1994 mustang and maybe change and pin a connector and be done with it other than a tailshaft housing change.

I found an AODE on craigslist. It was behind a 3.8, same model year. Original owner said the trans was fine when they removed it. I am hoping for the best but at the worst I will have my transmission out to rebuild. Fingers crossed. My weekends are booked up until mid May but soon after I hope to have this in.

The Mommy-mobile is on jack-stands in my driveway. I went underneath there and there is a lot to remove. The h-pipe, the driveshaft, electrical connectors, shift cable, plus unbolting torque converter, etc.

For whatever reason my brother who can't turn a wrench to save his liFe bought a cheapo transmission jack!?! I am borrowing it to help with the transmission swap.

It’s done. I’m driving it around. I don’t trust it 100%, but it will do highway speeds no problem. So far,.. so good. Tomorrow I am gonna use it to pick up my daughter... probably 50 miles round trip. Then work commute on monday... 65 miles round trip.