need a welding machine!

poohbertino

May 22, 2005
I was thinking about welding in my new floorpans in myself, I went to a repair shop and they gave me an estimate for 2500!! thats how much the car cost me! haha So I was wondering if anyone could recomend a good welder, or at least what voltage would be best to weld these new things in!!

• Sponsors (?)

I bought a cheap off brand flux core wire feed mig. Its runs off 110 and has no gas. I live in a old house with old wiring and very little garage space, so I really had no way to run a 230V welder and storing bottles would have just been that much more difficult. Honestly, if I did it again, i would have spent the extra money and bought a lincoln or a miller with a gas option for later, but I ultimately spent less than 100 bucks and it works fine. Its definitely a dirty weld, requires a lot of grinding time afterwords if appearance is a concern, but it serves its purpose well. Just as easy to use as a gas MIG

Lincoln, Hobart or Miller are all very good. This topic has been talked about many times try a search. I have a Lincoln 110V with the MIG kit. I want to sell it and buy a 240V machine but I have to run a 240 circuit to my garage first. My 110v works great for sheetmetal which is why I bought it. It starts to show it weaknesses when you try to do heavier stuff though. Get a MIG setup do not use fluxcore wire. MIG wire is available in smaller gauges than fluxcore. Get the thinnest wire you can I use either .021" or .023". Fluxcore wire welds "hotter" which for sheetmetal is bad.

I have a small Lincoln 110 unit and love it. I bought it without the gas setup but it didn't take long before I was cooking with gas. So much better and easier. I have a 40 cu. ft. tank (I think) and it goes a long way. Get the gas and you'll never regret it.

68_stanger said:
I agree a miller lincoln or hobart with the gas option is the way to go. I'd go ahead and spring for a autodark helmet around $200 but worth every penny IMO.
Shop around the price on has droped I seen them for as low as $50. They are a little slower than the newest ones on the market but will work just fine. :D